5.0 T5 behind GM SBC

alright, i’ve decided that the replacement trans for my truck (now #3 behind the sbc) is going to be a t5. i want to use the mustang t5 as it is stronger then the gm conterpart, and i dont have to mess with the 18* tilt of the fbody trans. also opting to use the t5 as it is lighter and more plentiful/cheaper to find then other toploaders and can still put up with abuse decently.

my question. is it easier to swap the input shaft to a gm input and can i redrill a stock gm bellhousing or is there not enough room for bolt holes? other option is to find a bellhousing specific for doing this with the correct pilot bushing and finding a clutch disc that will mate up(hopfully so i will not have to replace pp and flywheel).

im also curious about the hydralics for this, do they use an internal throwout bearing that i could adapt to a 4an line or something?

thanks for any info you guys may have on these transmissions.

Not sure about most of what you asked but I’m about 99% sure T5’s use a cable for the clutch, no hydraulics.

I don’t know if it is at all helpful to you but I have a T-56 from a LT1 with bellhousing and clutch if you want to go that route instead of a T5

actually that is helpful as i originally wanted a t56 but found them to be hard to find. a little more rotational weight but the extra overdrive gear and a little more strength is nice. pm me the specifics on the stuff and a price. thanks man appreciate it.

there is someone on roclife selling a ls1 from an 01 vette with trans for <$1300…

I’ll sell you one of my glides.

That won’t help at all unless he plans on going with a trans axle lol.

lol, my bad.

there is someone on roclife selling an ls1 from an 01 vette for <$1000

thereifixedit.jpg

pm’ed. having the extra OD would be nice. + its always nice to say you have a 6 speed.