5 Places With Good Jobs and Cheap Housing

Yeah, but Buffalo has always been that way and not just from the last few years. We didn’t have a housing bubble like Miami or Vegas.

While you can find “cheap” places to live in any city it doesn’t mean you’d want to live there. Try living in the top 2 neighborhoods in any major us city and you’ll pay a good buck.

Look at even Buffalo. What are the top two areas to live? Amherst and OP? Maybe Clarance and OP area? Most of the homes in those areas will run you north 175K easy. You can buy a house in Buffalo for $8,000 but it doesn’t mean you’d want to live in it lol.

Here in Houston the top two areas are probably The Woodlands and Kingwood. To move into either of those places you’ll probably have to spend at least 225K just to get in.

My aunt lives in a nice area in Cali and her house house was like 1.5 mil and it isn’t nearly as nice as mine is in Houston lol.

It is all relative like mentioned above. I can’t say I’d really want to live in any of those cities with the exception of Austin.

this one gave buffalo some love the other day on yahoo

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-five-most-underrated-cities.html

It’s inexpensive to live in Buffalo - where they’re are lots of singles.

Well written article. :tup:

I feel like Yahoo puts out these stories on a weekly basis because their the only thing that keeps people going to their website, lol.

According to those figures, Chicago’s drop in population from 2000 to 2010 is 2/3rds the entire population of Buffalo.

but even cooler is that its 7.6% unemployment rate
Wat?! Is it just me or does this seem way off.

I also don’t understand how Buffalo has a low cost of living while the area has such high taxes. Weird.

I think Buffalo has such a low cost of living because of the high taxes.

nah… while people like to bitch about taxes, they’ll live anywhere if you have a good enough job.

The only habitable place on that list unless you want to be a recluse is Austin… Great music scene, shitty bar scene though.

its $400k minimum where I live now for a single family house with a 60sqft(not kidding) back yard nearly an hour outside of DC.

Get me back to Buffalo, please.

Columbus is an awesome little area, spent a short time there with friends, before I bought this house in 2007. still have a couple friends there. Problem is, you get out of the columbus area and its still OHIO.

A close aunt & uncle have been in Austin (from buffalo, went for military reasons but all off base) for a decade or so. They tried getting us to relo there as well for the cultural and economic attractions for the longest time… then about 3 years ago they backed off altogether and I noticed they weren’t quite as proud as they used to be of home. Turns out that it was becoming southern CA-lite as a ton of people who lost there moronic shirt in CA realty had come in in waves and really started changing the nature of the communties. Something like 2/3s of the population growth were a result of this. lol.

That second part is completely true, the majority of any growth here lately has been the wave of people coming from Cali. The S.Cali people hit up Austin, NorCal are up here in DFW. Houston’s explosion was thanks to Katrina and majority from NOLA and the surrounding area.

I currently wouldnt even look at living in those places.

And lots of homes in North Buffalo are well north of $175k.

Austin, Massachusetts?

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2000_Road_Trip/tom_green_road_trip_002.jpg

You can’t get anything near that cheap in any major Canadian city right now. Toronto or anywhere 40 minutes out, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver or anywhere 60 min from core, Montreal…

And what you guys call ‘high taxes’ is redic. your taxes are half what ours our.

13% sales tax when you buy a used car through personal sale? kthnxbye

Have I been gone that long? LoL

I thought clarance, Amherst area of the north and op, hamburg area of the south were the better neighborhoods. I know there are smaller pockets of nice homes but I was speaking of larger areas in general.

They are. Geehee is just a cityfag.