54.5 mpg's by 2025...

PJB’s problem is adapting…he is stuck in the past and cannot seem to grasp technology and change, like it or not hybrids and electric cars will be the future.

Exactly. Obviously the technology available today for electric motors is not as appealing to the car scene as a gas motor… but the manufacturers have been using gas powered motors for a century. Its been the primary focus. For all we know is thy electric might have capabilities to exceed gas powered vehicles 20 years from now. Its a new technology… look at computers 20 years ago… cell phones 10 years ago. If the focus switches I’m sure performance issues can be reasolved. We need to embrace the change…

A top fuel dragster goes 300+ mph in a 1/4 mile in under 6 seconds. Still not something we all own or drive to work, mainly do to the same reason we’re not driving electric cars- practicality.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Every electric car, including the one above is practical yet still has super car performance.

You do realize that something like 95% of equipment in the world is electric motor powered?

well I was going with your performance specs there and how both are one seaters (atleast the red thing appears to be).

Performance isnt everything. Most cars are not performance cars and a hell of alot of cars are driven by people who dont give a fuck about how fast it goes, how it handles, etc.

I know that guys like us here that are into cars care about performance but we’re a small minority in reality.

well i think some of the domestic owners in the past have hated on imports because they were afraid of the technology that was beening used. Also electric motors create at least three times the power and torque as a internal combustion enigne “per hp”. Im still a fan of internal combustion enignes over electric but if done correctly can be impressive power wise to say the least

If electric cars were more affordable, I would already own one. I love technology; bring it!!!

BTW - it says light duty trucks, so who cares? I wonder what’s in store for the HD stuff and for peeps who tow and haul?

Pickups are light duty trucks. 3/4 and 1 tons are included in that.

That thing is a two seater FYI.

So what’s your point? These things are cheaper to “refill” will work for vast majority of commuters and price will drop.

If you wanna drive a few hundred miles a day, well then you’re fucked while the rest of the world will enjoy spending next to nothing on gas.

If it gets 44 mpg, and it can tow 15,000lbs, who gives a shit how they do it? That’s just my thinking…

Mere words from the empty suit we call our President. Saying that goal and achieving that goal are two very different things. If it does happen however it’s another nail in the coffin for the US economy since foreign countires don’t & won’t have to conform to these ridiculous environmental standards and can create & ship goods for much cheaper.

Why don’t they just require it next year? I mean just make it a law and they will have to comply right? It is obviously that simple isn’t it?

What happens when performance suffers and the consumer doesn’t want to buy the cars that get 60+mpg? Instead they want to buy the car that gets 30mpg but has better performance? You can’t decide what the consumer is going to buy. So what happens when they produce 75% 60+mpg cars but the other 25% is the only thing that sells. What does ford and GM do when all the cars sit on the lot? do they just hike up the prices of the 25% to cover their costs?

Why can’t the consumer’s choice drive the market? If they want better MPG they’ll buy cars with better MPG’s and the companies will produce more cars with better MPG’s. If the consumers don’t want them which statistics have shown american’s don’t want them then why force it. Chevy GM and ford all make plenty of cars that get better gas mileage but they don’t sell them in america because americans don’t want them.

If we were really wanting to get off our foreign oil dependency the first thing they would do is offer incentives to produce more diesel cars. Which we could start TODAY because all the companies already make the diesel cars. Gasoline offers good performance/gallon, diesel offers excellent energy/gallon. Why would you waste your time trying to get 60+mpg on a gasoline engine when you can use less oil in a diesel.

if fullsize trucks need to get 44 i’d like to see someone try and tow with it, it would have to be gutless. I’m glad this is Obama’s focus and not the national debt ugh

Yeah damn him!!!

God forbid he tries to save the working American money on gas! What is he thinking???

You guys really are ridiculous, you look for anything at all to bash the President because you don’t like him.

Fuck Yeah! To hell with Obama:evilking

Def doable. But it will take sacrifices. its like any off the wall car project you or I would take on. its so far “out of the ordinary” it will take giant leaps to accomplish.

It wont be cheap. R&D and materials costs.

• saftey: The cars/trucks we have, are “safe” because they are built like a brick shit house. Doors on a 2011 car weigh around 120lbs, back in the 90’s they were no where near that. Just one example. All the heavy ass THICK “safty” steel they dump into them weigh the cars down alot. look at the progression of the honda civics.

2011 civic weighs close to 2800lbs. a 1990 weighs 2100 or so. I know thats not all safty weight, it also includes a bunch of frivolous shit and over complicated electronics with MILES of wire.

What I am getting at is, no a days cars are fucking beasts. Trucks weigh a a few tons.

Aerodynamics. Trucks are fucking bricks. Most cars are getting better, up top, but not the entire package. To make this work they might look ugly but they could cut through the air better, so who cares.

Math + physics. The HP needed to propel a car from a dead stop to XX speed, and the HP needed to sustain XX speed on level ground with no added winds, weights, or resistance. The results would surprise you.

Sorry to say it, but you want to hit those figures, they might be slower, but they will do it. maybe it will keep the streets safer too. FUCK IT GOVERN THE CARS/TRUCKS DURING RUSHHOUR TIMES ON INTERSTATES!!! I actually would LOVE to see that happen. You want to drive fast, get the fuck off the interstate and risk it somewhere else. I GUARRENTEE once people got used to the fact that the more the press the gas pedal shit wont go any faster, all they are left to do is pay the fuck attention and stay in a lane… grid locks and piss poor traffic flows WILL get better.

did you know most people spend close to 62 hours a year SITTING in traffic? Not going foward, wasting fuel.

multiply that out by the MILLIONS OF TRAVELERS… thats a lot of wasted fuel! START THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX, dont only focus on improving the cars, IMPROVE THE DAMN PROCESS!

You are fucking retarded

Hey Obama haters…

I believe at least the last 6 presidents promised to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and with the record high gas prices the last two wanted to remove dependence on all oil.

Will it work? Probably not, it’s all politics and correct me if I’m wrong but the republican house had to approve this.

People that hate one party but not the other irk me. Either hate all govt or just stop caring as it wont change and it’s still the best around.

As far as performance, those manufacturers will likely have to buy their way out of the rule or introduce other models to improve their avg brand MPG just as they had to do by 2015.

Porsche has a 15 mpg model? Introduce 100mpg equivalent electric track beast. Could work.

The thing that sucks is say a company makes two cars, one that gets 20mpg and one that gets 100mpg, while the average for the company is 60mpg, that is not the same as the CAFE required average.

CAFE uses the “harmonic” mean, not the simple arithmetic mean.
The harmonic mean is measured:

X / (1/Y1 +1/Y2) = Z

X = Number of cars in fleet (2 in my example)
Y = MPG of a car, continuing for each vehicle in the fleet (Y1 = 20, Y2 = 100)
Z = CAFE measured average MPG across the fleet.

So by my calculations, CAFE would measure it as 33.33mpg across the fleet, but using the math we learned through school, it is 60mpg. Pretty fucked up IMO.

It’s actually 40 MPG by your example of 20 and 100.

But yes common sense would say that it’s 60.