OK new dilema..

I’ve been wanting to buy a truck for a couple years now and have finally settled on one id llike to buy. Its a 01 z71 with the 5.3 auto. Old lady is saying no cause of gas mileage concerns. I havent found a definitive on the gas mileage yet but most places i read say about 16 - 20 is average. I drive like 40 - 50 miles a day round trip for work. So i can understand the issue. So i guess what im asking is what do most of you guys average gas mileage wise? Most of my driving would be back roads and an average speed of 40-50 miles a hour.

check this link

6-8 mpg for me

12 MPG on the durango

20 MPG in the v6 camaro

ok well you gotta post better numbers if i want the old lady to let me get it… i wanted to just show up with it one day but came to the conclusion that i wouldnt have a place to live if i did that

well my other vehicle will prob get 4-7:dunno:

ok higher of the 2 wins!

5.3 in my yukon

18 maybe all hughway

if i was driving that much to work in back roads and was worried about gas

might not bethe best idea but it is a whole lot safer in winter if roads are bad

dakota V-6 6spd gets about 17-18 in the winter. but i drive 4 miles round trip a day. it was february the last time i put gas in it.

6 when you tow a 94 celica.

02 silverado 5.3 A4 373 2wd RCSB with K&N, flowmaster and Efans gets 20mpg in the summer with AC on or off and with me driving. didnt matter the matter. i was seeing about 18.5 for winter mileage with a dirty ass K&N.

only time i ever saw low mpg was when it had no tail pipes and just dumps

this should give you and idea on what a 5.3 can do. 02 and up have the better stock tuning for MPG. earlier years had EGR and sucked for MPG

and i dont baby my rides either. if i drove like an old man i would probably see alot more mpg

daully 8.1 7-10 mpg,sub 8.1 10-13,mini van 19-24

guys i know with 5.3’s get 16 -19 mpg around town

On my 5.3 I get average of 14.5 as per the diriver information display in the truck. And thats sitting in traffic, and driving highway daily.

Now when I take it on long trips on the highway I get about 19.3

Mine is a 2005 Silverado 1500 Quad Cab.

I don’t know about the older vehicles having that, but Its nice because I can see how much fuel I have used and so forth and make all the calculations when I’m making my long trips. I’m going to Baltimore this saturday so I can let you know how it does gain.

Last time I was doing between 75 and 80 the whole way to carlisle when I got the 19.3

oh forgot that was on 93 octane!

the back roads actually arent bad. i go up one hill and hit 2 stop signs on my way to work. I’m actually feeling a little bit better about this now. Seeing as i can get like 20 mpg if i dont drive like an idiot.

Anyways you could update a 01 to 02 tuning?

Tell the bitch you’ll start driving the cobra again. seee what she thinks about your gas mileage then

yeah 93 octane at 20 mpg ROFL

Yeah, if she loves you and cares for your well being, then she’d let you get the truck. :wink: