85 El Camino SS clean up

Ordered these from summit should be in tommarow
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/ronroman/motor%20swap/sum-g29152_w.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/ronroman/motor%20swap/atm-3224.jpg

First time in this thread… NICE BUILD.

Congrats!

wish ida known, I have a remote oil filter set up for 2 filters around here somewhere.

came of a 355 that was jammed in a jimmy i bought long ago., woulda saved your headers

Also, lose the fram oil filter, junk.

Will that kit work on my 4.6? I need one.

Wont that burn up that oil filter? Thats gotta get hot as fuck.

I was thinking about all that heat on the filter. Im gunna try wrapping some heat shield around that area hopefully that will help.

Remote-mount the filter. The thin metals that are in those won’t hold up to the heat very well - plus the fact it’s gonna be a mother trying to get that filter off when it’s jammed up against a hot, expanded exhaust pipe. You can’t even get a filter wrench over it as it sits.

Man… you bashed in one of the primaries on a new set of headers?! Your oil temps are gonna skyrocket… get a remote mount for that shit.

:-/

yea remote mount is coming in from summit either tomorrow or the day after thanks for the suggestion. My dad likes to do things and then realize after the fact of what could have been done instead :confused: . By the way if you thought banging in that tube was bad you should have seen the old pair of headers that car had it was alot worse.

Today the timing was done and the crossmember was notched out and welded so the rest of the exhaust could be done. If NAPA didnt close at 6 the exhaust could have been done today and took it out for a spin but i guess i gotta wait another day.

Its a little thin but should work out

Cool that you’re into your project and all…but man I can’t believe you mashed the headers! I’d also keep a very close eye on that crossmember…shit looks weak, perhaps some gussets would benefit ya if you can fit them in.

honestly the picture makes it look worse then it really is. yes it was a bad idea but it wasn’t mine and i did’nt do it my old man did. As for the cross member i’m kinda sketched out about it but its only a temp fix i will be ordering a new cross member made specifically for my car to have dual exhaust.

Autozone is open late. F-k napa and its early hours.

autozone only has flexpipe n like 18" pipe i needed like 10 foot which should happen today :slight_smile:

Umm…that’s a lot of crossmember to cut out…

Nice build thread you got going here but, I hope I’m not the guy in the other lane at the strip when that crossmember snaps!!

it probabaly wouldnt pass tech.

with that said, im pretty sure they are like 100 - 200$ for the true dual crossmembers for turbo

for that crossmember i would of just cut a whole section out and welded in like a 3 inch tube or something and then ran the exhaust through the tube…that would problably hold up better

just an idea so that the way you have it dosent bend or break and your transmission drop lol

Yes, thats how it should be done… but he said this is temporary.

lookin good ron. hopefully you have this shit rollin soon. i want to go for a ride in it

Ya like i said crossmember is temporary im ordering a new one in like 2 or 3 weeks. Not planning on romping on it anytime soon