92 Subie, now needs voltage regulator

Can I swap the voltage regulator WITHOUT also replacing the alternator or is it a package deal like with a VW??
I’m pretty sure that is my problem, I randomly looked at the battery meter on the dash while I was driving and realized it was pegged up at 18 volts. Normally it hovers around 14 (obviously), so I turned on every draw of power i could think of i.e. blower motor, rear defrost, radio, high beams, plugged in the cellphone charger…etc. and it dropped to about 16. Obviously I don’t want to replace the battery so I need to get on top of this now. Lil help?

take it to an alternator rebuild place and have them put in a new reg

So it is one thing to replace?

yea, on some cars its an external part, on some its internal and bolts in, on others its internal an soldered in

but it doesnt matter, it can be replaced in and of itself unless subie did something realy weird with how they installed it

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:4,topic:25949"”]

yea, on some cars its an external part, on some its internal and bolts in, on others its internal an soldered in

but it doesnt matter, it can be replaced in and of itself unless subie did something realy weird with how they installed it

[/quote]

So it’s a seperate part?
I need specific info here kids. :confused: