95 teg no power in D but fine shifted manually

I have a 95 integra ls 1.8 non vtec. bought it knowing head gasket was done on it and it didnt have any power after, so i figured timing was off. we pulled valve cover and timing was spot on. friend discovered that in drive it had no power and didnt seem to be shifting. like it was starting in 3rd or 4th and staying there. so he put it in d1, plenty of power, d2, d3, plenty of power. regular D, no power. also noticed that car wouldnt start unless you pushed shifter up a bit while in park, which then lit up the P indicator on dash. I have a local tranny shop lookin at it now, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this issue before and or what did you do to fix?

carnut suggested shifter might be out of adjustment. i thought maybe neutral saftey switch, maybe ecu.

any thoughts suggestions appreciated. thx

is your d4 blinking??? or any codes being thrown??? I had the same problem after getting a exhaust installed, my 02 sensor shorted out on the heat shield, and it caused this to happen, then it popped a fuse, so i replaced the fuse, and fixed my 02 sensor from shorting out on heatshield and car ran fine.

Sounds like it’s in limp mode, this happened to my old automatic Eclipse and they told me the clutch packs were shot. Fortunately for me is was all under warranty but I promptly traded in the slushomatic and got one with a manual.

ugh! now the guy that was gonna look at it quit the shop he was at. the owner wont look at the car nearly as cheap so now i gotta get the car outta there. seriously if anyone wants this fricken thing 300 bucks and you can take it. running motor, new battery, kyb shock/struts up front, 4dr. part it out, figure it out, i dont care. im tired of so called friends not looking at this car like they were supposed to. i could be neutral safety switch. key wont come out of ignition either. its gotta be something with shifter/ns switch. doesent matter though. throwing in towel. gonna put fs thread up.

one last thought, what if i convert it to 5spd think that will solve the issue? theres still neutral saftey with 5spd?

where is the car located? any pics?

I’d go with a 5spd swap considering you have to drop the trans anyway. Hardest part will probably be running the shifter cables. As for the neutral safety switch, if the car won’t start with it missing, jump the wires. Or if you’re anal you could put the clutch switch in and run the wires there instead.

its listed in the auto trader section on this site. pics there. sale is currently pending though. ill post up if it falls through.

Maybe the TPS sensor, my camry shifted at idle when the TPS was disconnected