96 240sx -> silvia s14.5 conversion

put a jack under the rear of the tranny and jack that up. it will make everything more level and and you can push it back further without hitting the steering lines and firewall.

welp, the new problem seems to be a clearance issue between the top of the valve cover and the firewall, and the engine mount studs and the frame

got it in, just took the right force

good work!

Sounds good man. I really want to do this swap.

here’s the latest pics:

I’m callin it quits for now. I’ll pick up the wiring/vacuum/plumbing nightmare when i get back from a week’s vacation. maybe by then my BOV will finally be in. stupid drop shippers.

busa: if/when you wanna do the swap, let me know. i’ll gladly help out. it’s really not as easy as whitey makes it out to be, not with an s14 notchtop anyway.

Good work… well except this:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2404000-2404999/2404550_8_full.jpg

-TJ

hah! ya know, i’ve taken no end of crap from my friend matt for having an “erector set” spoiler, but even he said, when you look at the car overall (and take the yet to be delivered carbon fiber hood into consideration), the spoiler actually works with it.

I’m probably just going to send it to 1st-try. I don’t want any headaches, I just want it done. I’ve done a swap before so I know I can do them. I just hate the down time and I don’t have a garage.

bloody hell. lemme tell ya, i’m about ready to fly to japan and punch a nissan engineer in the face. as far as swaps go, for some reason, the s14 sr20 swap is fairly uncharted waters. atleast, it is in the way of information readily available online. i managed to find the english translated service manuals for the s14 silvia, but even those are somewhat sparse when it comes to referencing what plugs look like what and hook to where. i finally managed to piece together where most of the rewiring has to be done, and as soon as i get to radio shack and pick up some wire, i’ll start making splices. i still have to sort out the glorious mess that is the vacuum lines. i’m not using the whole EGR system though, so that takes care of about half of it.

here’s my question to all the boost tuners out there. the thing comes with a stock boost control valve, which regulates how much pressure gets sent to the wastegate actuator, which regulates boost. since i’m switching over to a manual boost controller for the time being, do i take the stock BCS out and replace it with the manual controller, or do i plumb the manual controller in line with the stock BCS?

welp, i got the thing wired up, and i’m pretty sure i got it all right. pretty sure. i also got the fuel lines hooked up, the power steering back together, the AC compressor’s gone (who needs AC, this is PA.), the 150A alternator’s in. tomorrow i gotta call around and see if someone can get it on a frame straightener, cause the front subframe’s a bit bent from the collision it was in, and it’ll make for a shitty mount for the radiator. once that’s done i can put the cooling system all in and mount and plumb the intercooler, fill the fluids, and try to crank it over. fingers crossed.

good luck man. I was wondering what was going on with the swap. I must say I hated doing the wiring for the swap in my crx.

new pics are up on my cardomain site. page 2 has pics of the wiring, page 4 has pics of the fiberglassing i’m doing on the dash. more to follow as i get the dash sanded down, and the fiberglassing for the rear dash speakers done.

fuckin car’s gonna be the death of me. the front strut tie bar that they had to order to straighten out the front end didn’t come in today, like they said it would, so the car won’t be out of the shop till monday. i hate losing days.

while i’m on a tear, a big fist up the ass to andysautosport.com. this fisting brought to you by ridiculous lead times on shipping, no in/out of stock notifications, less than mediocre customer service, incorrect stock numbers on the website, a complete lack of technical information or technically proficient sales people, and utterly outrageous shipping and handling charges.

sucks man… everything will work out, catch up on some other things this weekend while you have some down time. Building a car is definitely a frustrating thing!

aight, car’s been in the shop for the better part of a week, getting straightened out. the guy guarantees me it’ll be done by 10am tomorrow. we’ll see. in the mean time i went ahead and fiberglassed the 6x9 mounts for the back deck. final sand should be tomorrow morning and then i’ll paint 'em.

Oh, and if anyone’s gonna be in the johnstown area on the 12th, there’s the (3rd?) annual “For the Fallen” run, bikes and cars welcome, a couple local bands will be there (including my new personal favorite, Pivot), and generally a good time is had by all for a good cause.

alrighty. car’s out of the shop, and the frame’s nice 'n straight. they couldn’t straighten the front bumper support, but lookin at things, i don’t think it’d work for this bumper anyway. i’ll fab one myself, cause that’s just easier than trying to mess around with the bent one, or trying to source a straight one to then mess around with. since i got it back i’ve dropped in the radiator and intercooler, cut the holes for the headlichtes and intercooler piping, and ran the intercooler piping. also, the hood came in on monday, ahead of schedule. i test fitted that up with the bumper and the headlights, just to make sure everything was straight and would fit. all i gotta say is… damn. pics are on my car domain site. for the lazy of you out there:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2404000-2404999/2404550_32_full.jpg

car looks really good, I love that front end… put some HID’s in it and it will be really sweet. Although… I would NEVER put an erector wing on my car… but hey, to each his own. Good luck

i like the wing :stuck_out_tongue: it fits with the CF hood and mirrors. besides, it’s only a 6", not the full 9" it could be. and i am gonna do the HID conversion, prolly over the winter while the car’s garaged.

okay, intercooler and MAF are plumbed in, BOV’s installed, belts are on, fuel pump’s swapped, plugs are swapped (ngk laser iridiums), rear brake calipers/rotors are on, front rotors come in tomorrow morning. rear diff, tranny, and clutch master & slave are filled and bled. all i really have left to do is mount the exhaust and fix the pain in the ass that has been the power steering lines, and run the ground wire in the trunk. i should be firing it up tomorrow. whitey, keep your cell on ya, i might be callin cause i fubar’d something.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2404000-2404999/2404550_36_full.jpg