96 240sx -> silvia s14.5 conversion

Welp, I’ve been amassing parts for the past 2 months (yes, while i was still in iraq), and yesterday i finally picked up the car. man, this thing’s a heap. it all started with north hills auto not updating their online inventory for MONTHS (if you’re from there, fuck you). so, i hit auto trader, searching. i found one out in akron, pa, and called about it. turns out they sold it too, and one they hadn’t even gotten around to listing yet. dude’s mechanic though, had an s14 that’d been wrecked and sat. he bought it to do the same thing i’m doing, and just lost interest (blasphemy!). so, fresh in from finally coming home, me, my dad, and my sister began the treck across the state. 6 hours later we’re in akron, and i’m looking at a car that doesn’t start, is smashed in the front, and is leaking like mad from a rear caliper. long story short, my wallet’s 2 grand lighter and i drove back across the state using the e-brake for stops. welp, it’s parked in the driveway now, and i’m starting to inventory the massive amounts of parts. pictures will follow as soon as it stops raining.

you should go for the kouki front end instead of the s15 silvia conversion. i bet that there are more s14.5 cars out there than s14a cars even though they were production.

Jimmy

Get some pictures up. I love the s14.5 front end. Good luck with the coversion.

welp, day 2 comes to an end. except for the dash and the steering wheel, the interior’s gutted (stupid torx/star bits), and the whole of the exterior’s ripped off and ready for paint stripping. also drained the fluids and started disassembling the ka24 for removal. the sr20 gets delivered tomorrow between 11 and 3. w00t! the only problem i’m having is what to do with the rear over fenders. i’m by no means a body guy, and i’m not sure if i should rivet these things to the existing fenders and mold 'em in with fiberglass and body filler, or cut out the existing metal fenders and replace 'em with the fiberglass ones and just blend 'em in. any body guys out there with some good advice?

North Hills Auto. That’s a Bummer

x a billion

rivit them in like they are supposed to be, and make sure if your going with a wider wheel and offset cut the metal fender out so the actual purpose of the over fender works, instead of just looking pretty

end of day 3, steering wheel, dash, and carpet are finally out, the exterior and interior are both completely stripped and ready for the chemical peel. the sr20 came in today, that was fun getting off the truck, but screw it, i’ve got an sr20det blacktop (vtc). tomorrow and thursday are pretty much a wash, i’ll be down in pgh dropping my sisters off at the airport and unfux0ring my mx-3 (please pass inspection… please!). friday the old engine, tranny, and driveshaft come out, and we start prepping for paint.

if you are going to airport swing past here i am 1 minute off rte 60 near the airport.

and if you are gonna use wide body kit, and don’t want seams, use stuff called Fusor to bond shit together. stuff works really well.

Where on 60 are you located at.

aight, pics are up at my msn storage space.

http://groups.msn.com/locusshideyhole/240sxbuild.msnw

Nice blue :cool:

Looks good man. Keep up the work.

that blue’s going away. it’s gonna be nissan color code WV2, aka: “Silverstone”.

where the hell are the pics?!

Welp, most of the body’s on. holy crap do i hate body work. check the msn site tomorrow for updated pics. btw, if there’s anyone knowledgable/experienced with the sr20det swap (whitey, hint hint), i’m gonna be doing it this coming saturday or sunday. this is my first ever engine swap, so i could appreciate all the help i can get. for anyone willing to make the trip to johnstown there’ll be food, beer, couches available, and unending gratitude. pm me or email me if you’re interested.

its no sweat man! I would be down to help this weekend, but I am heading to Hyper Fest. good luck!

love the silverstone! good choice!

aight, more pics are up. at this point we’re done molding the body kit into the body, and we managed to do a great job perserving the factory lines. i stripped the paint off the doors, tomorrow’ll be the a-pillars, roof, and hood. chemical paint stripper ftw. aside from that, i just have to do a quick hit on the body with some 180 grit paper and wash it off and it’ll be ready to mask for paint. thursday’s the paint day. the ppg stuff i’ve got says it’s more or less no touchy for 12 hours. just to be safe i’m waiting till sunday to get back into the mechanical stuff (engine swap). in the mean time i can take care of getting all the bolt-ons bolted on, and get a start on the sub boxes and amp racks. busy busy. here’s the link again for those that need it.

Hey guys, I’m havin an absolute bitch of a time tryin to get the sr20 in. Right now we keep hitting the firewall with the valve cover before we can get the engine mounts to line up and sink in. If we drop it down any further the tranny ends up sitting on the steering rack. Any suggestions?