98 Caravan dash problems

Ok, well I know this probably isn’t the most talked about subject seeing that it is a van, but here goes. My mom’s got a 98 Dodge Grand Caravan and the dashboard has been going out and turning back on randomly for the past few months. Mechanics can’t figure it out. The whole dash, including the tach, speedo, odometer, fuel gauge, temp gauge, trip meter, and transmission light all go out. The check engine light is on and rarely ever goes off.
The only thing I might think could be causing is maybe some sort of heating issue. If the A/C is turned on, the dash will come back on shortly afterwards. So maybe heat is the problem. But any suggestions are helpful. The odometer continues to count the miles though cuz when the my mom’s noticed a change in mileage count from the time the dash goes out to the time it comes back on. Weird problem, but whatever anyone can offer would be appreciated. Also, the horn and steering wheel cruise control buttons all don’t work, but I don’t think that’s related to the dash problem. Thanks in advance!!

BCM?

I’m not sure if it’s the BCM or not. We had the car serviced before and I think they replaced the BCM and it worked, but not even a week later the dash was out again. I’d have to check my mom’s receipts for sure, but I don’t have access to them now being out of town. Any other ideas?

Correction, they had the BCM taken apart and cleaned, which temporarily helped. Would putting in an entirely new BCM help much?

hard to say…but if it did indeed help for a bit, it kinda leads me to think its somthing in there. not sure how hard it is to find another one to try out, is there somwhere that will “fix” yours if you send it out?

Well we’ve tried having it fixed on at least a couple of occasions to no avail. At this point, I’m just tryin to see if there was something we didn’t try or if there was a definite solution to the problem. The van’s gonna get ditched in a few months anyways, so I’ll see if my parents wanna replace the BCM, otherwise they can just deal with it, lol.

haha gotcha, was just a shot in the dark anywho if i come across anything i’ll let you know

Hey the help is always appreciated :slight_smile: I doubt my parents will wanna shell out $300 right before we ditch it, lol, but oh well.