98 ls1 into a 82-92 fbod

can anyone fill me in on the details of this, i may want to switch this to my new project if i can find out some info on it. so if any one has done it or know aobut it let me know thanks.

im mostly worried aobut wiring it im not soo good with wiring, so carbing it would be my first choice as if there was another choice if the wiring is realy indept

I remember reading through a few good guides with pictures on thirdgen.org a few years back.

checkout www.wnyfbody.com

Do you have the complete engine, harness and PCM. If you do wiring is not a problem because you just transfer the harness over. If you want to keep A/C you need to have custom A/C lines made and knock the factory K member (not a hard thing to do) or purchase an aftermarket K member ($400). Next you will need LS1 motor mounts ($85.00) then you need the transmission crossmember (either $115 or $395 if you want an adjustable torque arm). Remember all this stuff is bolt on, no welding or fabrication

If you want to go the carb route Edelbrock has the answer with the conversion kit they have. Pretty much the intake and an MSD ignition control unit and wiring. The cost is around $700 with the throttle cable bracket and once you purchase a decent carb you will be well over $1000
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/3507118.jpg

This power producing intake manifold is designed for the popular Chevrolet LS-1 (5.7L) small-block V8 originally used in 1997 and later Corvettes and 1998-02 Camaros and Firebirds. It also fits the Corvette ZO6 engine and any other Gen III engines including the LM7 (5.3L), LR4 (4.8L), and LQ4 (6.0L) truck engines. The Performer RPM LS-1 manifold allows the use of a square-bore flange carburetor on these originally computer-controlled engines, offering maximum power and a broad torque curve, providing optimum performance from 1500 to 6500 rpm. This manifold includes a unique electronic Timing Control Module made by MSD which works with OE sensors to fire the ‘‘distributorless’’ ignition system and offers a choice of three timing curves. This kit also includes a special throttle and transmission bracket that works with 700R-4 and Turbo 350 transmissions making the LS-1 engine an easy retro-fit into any muscle car, street rod or marine application.

MrDude 1 on LS1tech has a swapped 91 Camaro vert, and he has pics of the stuff I am talking about on his website. I also have a few HotRods and GM High Tech Performance magazines about the swap, and I am doing one this spring. Email me if you have any other questions [email=“jason@jandjspeedshop.com”]jason@jandjspeedshop.com

That is GREAT ADVICE

my advise … if your going to carb it don’t put an LS1 in there… you’d be much better off bulding a regular SBC and cheaper too … ever think about a big block even?

if your going to do the LSx setup go fuel injected

oh and if your just going to pick up a full swap without aftermarket try looking for the LS6’s if there not that much more

Depending on how much power you plan to make with the 98, you will want to consider building the bottom end, but this is relative to ~500rwhp.

yea 98 blocks are slightly different in the normally don’t hold up as much power as the new 00+ ones. Nothing a few aftermarket parts can’t change. swapping the harness and everything is simple. You’ll just need some conversion parts. no big deal.

Good luck and let us know how it goes bro :tup:

well first off thanks for all the input and reason i may be doin this is because my buddy can get me a ls1 pretty cheap its the one thats in the f/s thread so thats kinda where my idea for this came from. so if ne thing it would be the ls1 and i may carb it because i may end up goin to like a monte ss or something ive always loved those haha, also is there ne losses/gains from the carb set up that ne one knows of

There really is no reason to switch to carb…its also gonna add 1000+ to price of the swap.

Just do a cam swap while the motors out…and throw on some bolt ons…it wouldnt be to hard to being the 400rwhp range.

^^ nice i like the sound of that

I know the carb setup will add good numbers about 50hp from a Hot Rod test with edelbrock. but a cam swap would do that and probably be better. running 11s isn’t gonna be hard at all with headers, cam, nitrious. haha like barly any mods at all really. Good Luck

gain HP from getting carbed? show me this link … i’m pretty sure it’s the opposite?

No, im pretty sure hes right. More than anything its cause its a better manifold/larger intake.

Just keep the EFI…with the right cam setup you could be around 400rwhp…If this was only a weekened car you could get much over 400rwhp…

If your running a automagic with a decent size stall to match the cam mid 11s would be no probblem with a sub 3500 race weight and some decent tires.

Another and probably lower cost option would be to buy the 6.0 LQ4 engine in the classified section. I believe the seller wanted $700, but you will need a few accessories. Then add a carb intake to that

Yeah, the carb manifolds do flow better than the LS1/6 intakes.