To Ls1 or not to LS1?

Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a manual transmission firebird or trans am, I found a couple, but they are all v6. I am just wondering how much work and money will it cost along with the cost of new tranny and LS1 (used, rebuilt or new)? Will there have to be major fabrication to the mounts to make the engine fit?

Moved to GA. The internet is full of helpful information that can answer most if not all of your questions. I would recommend a forum like wnyFbody or some national Fbody forum like mulletracer.net* or pushrodgoatsee.com*

*Disclaimer - Not actual websites.

lol

check out camaroz28.com or ls1tech.com

Not to Hijack…how much were the V6 firebirds you found???
I’m looking to get a correct wheel drive setup for my 3800.

Thanks and sorry.

I dunno if you would be interested in being different (like myself) BUT, you can make the power of the LS* engines with a turbocharged 3800. ITs actually going to be my next project. For the money, time, and money invested into a LS* swap, you could have a turbocharged 3800 for a similiar price. Think of it as a GN I guess but a redesigned 3.8 If you are at all interested, lemmie know I got alot of info to share.

PS www.ls1tech.com had a write-up on a LS swap into a V6 car. fwiw

Get a LS1.

I was gona do this. You can get a 100K v6 94-97 car for 2-3K. Or a 98+ for 4-6k, to swapt to a LS1 car. I was gona get a simi beat 98+ car to gut into a shop car do. this might still be happening.

Talk to Paul at PMP about this swapt,
You need LS1, LS1 Kmember, LS1rack, dash harness. engine harness, fans, LS1 gas tank, trans, cross meber.
Probally best to get a crashed LS1 car, then priceing all all the parts sepret if you don’t have the resources. or just get a Ls1 car, ther a lot out there with 50-70K for under 10K if you look around. I got my 01 m6 with 58K for less then 10k

http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/

edit
http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/v8swap.htm
Parts Needed:

LS1 Engine and Transmission
LS1 PCM and Wiring Harness
LS1 K-Member and Motor Mounts
LS1 Radiator
LS1 Coolant and Heater Hoses
LS1 Steering Rack and Linkage
LS1 Throttle Cable
Custom Fuel setup
Custom Wiring Harness

2 local cars I found in 5mins

FS: 2000 Z28 $9500 best offer w/pictures
automatic
cloth interior
T-Tops
power everything
traction control
Only mods are an SLP lid and hooker aero chamber cat back. It currently has black Zr1’s on it that I want to keep. I have the stock ten spoke rims to put back on. Only problem is that either set will need new tires. Brakes make a little squeak sometimes but the pads and rotors look fine and have lots of life left. Its in good overall shape. I’ve owned the car for about a month now but just want something different. I did a carfax before I bought it and its clean. I will see if I can log into my account and post it if I still can. I had to take it to the track before I decided to sell it just to see if it was faster than my old LT1.

60’ 2.029
1/8 8.513
1/4 13.159
MPH 106.42

Should make 12’s with some drag radials and a better sixty foot. PM if interested I really don’t want to sell it but doing so will help me upgrade to maybe an 02.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/bamfer9duce/3eda_3.jpg[/quote]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Asking 10K
84k miles
ttops
power w/l/s
cloth interior(little sun faded, originally a carolina car)
6 speed
the car has a little door ding(dimple) in the rear 1/4 and a paint chip about the size of a quarter above the license plate on the rear bumper

for the goodies…
ZO6 black motorsports 17x9.5
drilled/slotted rotors
eibach pro-kit
UMI lca’s relo brackets and phb
pacesetter lt’s/ory/cutout/hooker catback
slp lid

Honestly, LS1 cars are coming down in price like you wouldn’t believe, and somewhat easy to find. I bought mine off of LS1tech for under market value and was well worth the wait. Why put yourself through the headache of doing the swap and dealing with the random bullshit problems that are sure to accompany it when you could just be patient and find something ready to go? Get on LS1tech and watch the classifieds…you’ll find what you’re looking for.

I’d wait and buy an LS1 car. No headaches, time can be spent elsewhere.

there’s a t/a on there need sosme minor work and it’s $6500. buy it. I got mine on LS1tech aslo for half of book value on my car. soo…

If you have to ask…

the market’s all over the place with these things lately, maybe due to the new bodystyle coming out soon and the LS2 just being a drop in the bucket compared to what’s to come. just wait it out and get one for cheap. it’s out there, don’t mess with OR pay for such a complicated swap. you might save a couple grand, Maybe - off the top. but there’s a good chance you’ll lose it in reliability in the end. just my .02

What the hell…lmao. Nothing wrong with a turbocharged 3800. Not everyone wants to be the same. Even though the beaten path makes things cheaper and easier.

x2

They are gettin cheaper and cheaper in price to buy a TA or Z28.

buy mine! :gotme:

I must…stay …strong…I dont …want…the …almighty El Es engine…

OK I DO I DO!!! ARGH!

Why swap what you can buy factory installed?

Fuck the swap, get the whole car.

Buy a car with it, end of story.

Truth, there’s no reason why not with the price as it is these days.

Agreed :party2: