996 911 Carrera Questions

Anyone have any experiance with them? Good car or not?

Do they have lots of maintence issues ? Motor problems? Really looking for the Carrera 4s but not sure what if even that I will end up getting. Just looking to get some more knowledge about them. What’s their life expectancy in terms of milage and do they hold their value decent ?

Its Porsche, nothing is cheap.

False.

Don’t expect any modern water cooled Porsche to hold it’s value unless it’s followed by GTx. Even the Turbo’s these days, especially the 996’s have fallen in value due to production numbers, style, and issues.

The M96 motor is NOT without it’s problems but that shouldn’t sway you from buying one with proper maintenance and preventative work. Cylinder d-chunking, IMS failures, etc are all known issues that can cause complete engine failure(expect a bill upwards of five digits to replace). some can be prevented, such as the IMS bearing overhaul, other like cylinder wall cracking and cam lobe failure cannot. It’s luck of the draw really.

That being said, definitely don’t go into buying one without a proper PPI and having all records checked by someone that knows these cars. Also, don’t buy one on a stretched account, because they DO require maintenance and said maintenance can be very expensive when parts fail(it’s a German car and things WILL fail)

I can assist you in any matter along the way, including most service so if you have questions or find a car and require a PPI feel free to ask.

thats what i meant. lol

I understood it, was just being an ass :smiley: Porsche’s can be cheap if you buy smart and can do your own work. 99.9% of the time a 996 is not one of those Porsches.

I heard NickAlero just bought one.

thanks for the input, i actually heard that the 996 was one of the Porsche’s to avoid but wasnt sure if that was just a vocal few that had issues or if it was a general consensus.

i also figured to avoid the turbo models in fear of higher maintenance ( read m5 vs 525 lol )
boxersix if i do end up going with a p car i will be sure to let you know and ask you a few questions before i get it.

The Turbo M96.7 motors are substantially better than the NA counterparts in all areas EXCEPT cost. They are both 3.6L in displacement, but that’s where the similarities end. completely different engine designs by nature other than their flat 6 layout. Maintenance is certainly more expensive.

If you can find a 996 cheap and with good maintenance records don’t overlook the car just because of the stigmata they have. If you can afford the car and have a cushion to sit on incase something major happens then it is a good chassis to work with.

The C4 systems on the newer cars have some kinks, but honeslty I’d stick with a C2. Less crap to worry about and they drive better. The Turbo’s are AWD but have different suspension and well, are Turbo’s

Do not under any circumstances compare the cost of ownership of a BMW to a 911. The cost of ownership between the two is substantial when things go wrong. Example…for the the price of a 996turbo engine rebuild you can easily find and purchase a mid<->high mileage e46 M3. Doing so you could quickly find yourself quite wide-eyed one day…

Porsche is the one car manufactures that makes it extremely difficult to obtain online information for the DIY. It’s easier to find documentation for Ferrari’s for christ sake. Lots of specialty tooling, special diagnostic equipment.

I still love the fucking cars though :smiley: My honest opinion though if you’re really in the market…sit on them for a year or two and look for a good price on a pre-owned 997.1 Better car all around, period.

Not to attack you at all, but given that I see you buy high mileage M-cars (and I did as well) possibly because of their pricing, I do not recommend doing the same with a 996 unless your wallet has at least a little padding. Adam can give a ton better insight than I can as he already has.

Wait it out as long as you can until the 997s start hitting their bottom pricing (and they will due to new chassis coming out).

none taken at all man, i usually buy m- cars when i see a good deal, i drive them a bit and sell them and almost never end up losing any money, if anything getting a few extra hundred.

i do think the 997 is a bit better looking as well so maybe ill get something else instead for the time being, im not in a rush to sell the cars i have… just kind of tired of them really, getting another new car itch

Adam will not be my full time mechanic, hence me not owning this.

http://www.wheelindustry.com/gallery/cache/porsche/Porsche%20993%20911%20Turbo%20White%20BBS%20LM%20gold%20a_w600_wheelindustry_watermark.jpg

^ Most maintenance-heavy 911 of all time(993)…when their owners actually drive them :shifty

what about the 930 turbo?

As with any old 911, PPI. The older the car, them more maintenance it will likely need. Single turbo Turbo’s(930’s/965’s) are raw and edgy. 1994 Turbo 3.6 is my favorite 911 of all time. Nimble handling combined with a clunky 4spd shift and sluggish turbo lag make 930’s a fun ass ride(5spd g50’s in the late 89+ 964 turbos aka 965).

They are CIS fueled and while reliable when working, they are getting VERY expensive to repair. Many people have converted their cars over to EFi, but expect at least $5K+ tuning minimum to have this done by a competent shop( :wink: ) The aircooled turbo 3.0(early 930) and 3.3L(late 78+) motors in them are robust and can last 250K miles with ease when maintained. Expect a full rebuild to cost you 4-8K pending weather it needs pistons and cylinders crank work, rocker refinishing, etc.

I would be more apt to buy and build a 965 turbo then a 996 turbo, CIS or not. a good condition EFI converted 930/965 can cost as much as a high mileage 996 turbo though. 993 turbos will run you 50K+++++++

I could write a book of information here on these cars, rebuilding them, driving them. Best to just ask specific questions if you have them.

why would someone ever want to own a giant pile of problems like a porsche???

just doubled my porsche knowledge reading this post :number1

I’d DRIVE IT IF YOU FIXED IT BREH. Would rag the shit outta that 911.

False

993s are soooo nice though.

I’d personally take a Flachbau 930. Please and thank you

Agree false because you’d never sell the poopra and even if bought you’d never drive it. Would have absolutely no problem adding you to my client list of porsche owners if you ever man up and buy a 993 though.

Aka 930 Turbo S. There are a few 930 Turbo S models that were ordered sans slantnose. Not a bad car just never got over the look of them after seeing what Gemballa did to the beautiful white one that Vanilla Ice owned :cry:

I would hands down take a 1994 Turbo S 3.6 Flachbau over just about any car. Only 39 were imported into the states, of which 17 were ordered with the standard 964 non-slant nose. Makes it one of the most rare P-cars on the road today. There is one in storage at KTR Performance next to the 250 GTO, black on black full X optioned car, and has about 6K miles on it and is likely valued around $180-200K

There a cool 73 Rally slant nose on ebay I have been watching… Soon to pull a trigger on some german shit myself perhaps.