P-car people...

Just wondering if anyone can give me some quick info related to a 2001 Turbo. The vehicle in question is relatively low mileage (30k), 6 speed and appears pristine. I have done a little bit of Internet research, but was hoping someone (walker) could give me some insight into what to look for, and what to expect maintenance wise. I know IMS isn’t an issue on the T cars…

thanks!

2nd gear pop out issue
spoiler hydraulics
clutch accumulator failure

Overall they are known to be pretty solid :tup:

whatever you do I would without a doubt have an independent Porsche shop do a PPI.
they typically range from $250-$500 but are FAR more detailed than just going to the average dealer for one.

just off the top of my head these are the things I would be on the lookout for

2nd gear popout
type 1 and type 2 over revs
slave cylinder and accumulator
misfires caused by original spark plugs and cracked coil packs
brittle coolant overflow bottle
leaky radiators (3 of them up front)
failed/failing hydraulic spoiler rams

I would certainly also like to see a paper trail for the car as far as service records too.

I can’t believe they count and store different types of over revs. kinda sweet.

:tup:

thanks for the input. Here’s a link to the for sale ad:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/porsche/911t/1791086.html

Type 1 on a stock 996tt are ignitions in the range of 6750 and roughly 7250rpm.
Type 2 on a stock 996tt are ignitions in excess of 7250rpm even though some may argue that its closer over 7000rpm.

these numbers can be skewed a bit once the car is flashed and the rev limiter is actually brought up from the stock setting.

dont get me wrong its a nice car for sure BUT $47k?

1. its a 2001 which came with no glove box and is “notorious” for the 2nd gear pop out issue…
  2. its black so its not really a “rare” color for this car.
  3. it isn’t a very heavily optioned example. (also the glorious x50 package wasn’t available in 2001)
    I think you can find an example that is just as clean with some nice aftermarket mods already done for about $5k less.

the best idea IMO would be to keep saving a bit more for a 997tt

again this is just my opinion but if you MUST have this exact car then go for it!
It does look REALLY clean

These cars are not desired by Porsche aficionados so keep in mind the car will plummet in value with a few more miles on it. If you are cool with that and don’t mind the non911 headlights then go ahead and buy it. :wink:

If I had to buy one, I would beat the Hell out of this one… :slight_smile:

http://www.thomasclassics.com/web/used/Porsche-911-Turbo-Tech-Art-EPL750-2001-Akron-Ohio/15358000/

I can’t be the only one that thinks Tech Art stuff looks like complete dog shit??? Maybe I’m weird but I think 996’s look fantastic with the stock twist wheels and no stick on body kit garbage.

^I agree, the tech art shit is early 2000s cool. I think the 996TTs have been holding value well, if anything they have gone up a bit in the past.

996s are ugly no matter what, I just said I would beat on it. It is probably pretty quick.

i think the best setup on these cars is a GT2 front end with a GT3-RS style rear wing (which was the exact setup i had on my car)

or maybe for the more subtle approach just a nice Strosek top wing.
Strosek rear upper wing:

i actually would have to agree that these cars did a slight uptick in value but will also NEVER get that high in value because it will always be overshadowed by the 997tt.

i still think these are a fantastic bargain for someone in the $35k-$40k market.

also dont be scared to actually drive it. i let mine sit for too many years before i actually daily drove it and i regret that.

i used to love blasting on ramps with it

I support the bike rack on the roof

Walker said it all. Car looks very clean, just quite a bit over priced. I wouldn’t pay over $41k for a 2001 in black but that’s just me.

I’d find one with just a touch less “pedigree” and dog the shit out of it and enjoy the car instead of rubbing the leather with tiger seamen from Bengladesh.

I dunno, I liked the 996tt. @vq30de is like Andre the Giant though so I’d be first worried about fitting in the damn thing, lol.

Basically what walker said. Looks like a nice car but priced near the top of the market for a non x50 car. If you really like it then go for it but there are better deals out there. I would suggest to buy one from an enthusiast with a few simple mods and known maintenance records.

i think he will be fine.
Big-e sat comfortably in my 996 and he is 6’6" / 300lbs…

so that’s what extreme constipation in a Porsche looks like…

If my tall lanky ass fit in one, and comfortably at that, I can’t see many people not. Unless this cat is from an African tribe or something

It is getting in and out that sucks. When your ass is 12" off the ground but your knees are 24" it gets weird… especially when you get old like me. :slight_smile: I may only buy sedans from now on… Old Wheel Drifter.