A little help guys... dealership sales question

Im going to be in the market for a used truck 07+ GMC Sierra 1500… I’m looking at a few at dealerships that are going for like 19,9xx- 21,9xx… What do you guys think is the least I could offer them to get em to bite on it…

Say for a $20,000 truck I go ahead and offer them 17,000, from experience whats the least I can get them down to where they’ll let it go and make their money off of it.

Used cars/trucks are what dealerships make the most on, so you have more room for negotiating. I’d offer 15-16k first.

Really? lol Ok I guess I’ll try that.

Cash in hand is a powerful thing. Worst they can say is no

ehh, not really… most dealerships RATHER you finance, or so ive been told… however, you can never really embaress a salesman as you haggle them and then they go and haggle there boss lol

Best bet is to look up the EXACT truck, options, mileage ext on KBB trade in value… 90% of the time thats what theyve got in it… add 1,500 to that price and thats what your first offer should be.

I got my LOADED 05 Crew Cab for 14750, and it’s way nicer than those base models you were posting pics of on FB.

Just saying.

yeah I would offer them like 16 and see what they come back with and just play them if they dont go low enough for you just say sorry walk out and go somewhere else. Most of the time if you really are going to buy it and you walk out they will go lower.

It’s also going to vary from truck to truck as the price is taking into consideration what they paid for it and what money they had to put into it to get it ready to be sold.

^this

on average a used car dealer is going to put about 3-4k markup after expenses into the asking price. Your best bet would be to see if you can find a truck that you know has been on a lot for greater then 30 days, because they will be more apt to wheel and deal to get rid of it. Also KBB value is the worst to go by, use NADA. Another thing is are you trading anything in, funny as it may seem you can sometimes get a better deal that way since they will markup your trade in where as a straight cash sale they have to make all their money on the vehicle your buying. Also most dealers do prefer you finance through a lender they have a relationship with cause they get a piece of the money.

Worst to go by because the mark up is the highest, which is WHY dealers still use it…

Some of the ones I looked at had sunroofs and all that. Cant go crew because that cuts into bed space which I’ll need cause it will be used for working. The only thing most of them dont have is leather, But I dont want leather either I’ll prolly ruin it getting in and out in work clothes all dusty and drying the leather up. The ones I posted were SLE’s or something, one step down from there top model.

what kind of work are you going to be doing with the truck?

House construction, Mostly sheetrocking but I’m going to be flipping houses soon.

I’ll take a picture of what my brothers truck looks like after years of getting in and out covered in sheetrock dust, It is’nt pretty.

anybody else know anything or have experience with it? Im prolly going to go over friday test drive then offer, already got pre-approved.

Has anyone seen any 07+ GMC Sierra’s in white or red? I’ve only found a couple im interested in.

How far are you willing to drive I’m bored all the time down here and always on Craigslist and cars.com. I can look at usaa.com for you too

Do some research and figure out what the fair market value is and then go from there.

yeh I’m going there today, i’ll just give it a try…

@MP the next truck I have in mind is pennsylvania, Im willing to drive for the right truck.

What I do, is look at KBB, and Edmunds TMV. Somewhere in the middle of those two numbers is a pretty close estimate to it’s value. (Price you would want to pay)

I also check ebay/cars.com to see what similar shit is selling for.

thing was pretty beat up for the year, scratches a little rust etc. the guy basically opened the car door for me to leave when I offered him 16,000 a part of me didnt even want the truck for 16,000.