A Solid $700 bucks spent...

I recently bought a 92’ 240SX LE - at 7 bills the price was right for non-running condition, a solid body (mint frame rails) and a rebuilt engine. I managed to get it running (puttering is a better word) for all of 3 minutes before it quit, however, the symptoms it exhibited were similar to a problem I had with my 90’ 300ZX Twin Turbo, which turned out to be a ignition chip (if I remember correctly).
Any help here? Anyone had a similar problem?
I’m sure it could be any number of problems but if anyone is interested in taking a look and are in the Whitby area, let me know
appreciated

im just here in oshawa, ill come see, not sure how much i can help you with but i will see what i can do.

just let me know ur location

describe what it does a bit better and i may be able to help (i’m too far away to come look at the car)

it could be many different things based on your description.

A silvia front end won’t solve his issues…

And anyway dude, this is too vague. Try and give a better description of what it sounds like, how it is behaving. Maybe make a video if you can get it to start or turn over briefly…

Best of luck.

LMAO thats tru and i dont think this is an issue u can just use primer to cover up hahahaha

Check for basics;

is the pump priming?
is there spark?

any CEL?

Osad neither do i think ur smart ass comments will help, also why don’t you stop by him and give him some help? or wait even better yet what the hell are you doing on the forums? you don’t even own a 240. I’m trying to help maybe you should to you fagget.

he does own one

and is building it

its not a white Coope missing a mud flap is it?

nope - the body is in great shape - minus the back hatch, which will be replaced ASAP - I got it running, puttering really, it was very shaky at idle and when I gave it gas it did not repond very well at all. I experimented by putting it in neutral, giving it gas then putting it back in drive - to which it accelerated slightly but then went back to the difficulty of actually working properly, in all it ran for about 3 minutes. It’s one of those things where it could be anything, it would be nice to get it running long enough to get it to a shop for a diagnostic…

Sounds like

1. Its not running on all four cylinders. While you have it running, take out the plug wires one by one and see the difference it makes. If one or more dont make a difference then that cylinder(s) isnt combusting, either from lack of fuel or spark.

2. A large or numerous vaccuum leaks. Check you intake piping for rips, holes ect… go over the rest of your vaccuum hoses and make sure their all intact.

3. fuel isnt getting to the engine quick enough. Clogged fuel filter, bad injectors, etc.

4. Timing is off

Start with that. I’m sure theres other possibilities I’ll think of

I think you’re (as well as many others I’ve talked to on here) are onto something. Your theory is very similar to the concensus, I think I’ll have it running by this weekend if all goes well

thanks ya’ll - needed fuel pump - all good now