ac recharge

Is it normal for the ac in my truck to need a recharge? Its just not blowing as cold as it should (like it used to). Is it normal to need to be topped off without anything wrong with the system (leaks)?

I was going to grab a can of refrigerant tonight at Walmart but they were out of it and Advance was closed.

No.

They sell recharge kits with a dye/UV pen light for you to DIY diag leaks. Fill system with dye charge, run full/max AC for ~20 minutes, turn off lights and look for bright green halo with UV light. replace leaky part/oring, then have properly vacuumed and charged( park auto)

So a regular can of it wont just be a quick fix for a while? It blows cool on the lower speeds but not cold. Its better on the higher speeds though.

I dont have a uv light or much time to fuck with it/take it anywhere.

I really dont want to spend alot of money on something I dont use all that much. I just had it on tonight because it was raining really hard and I noticed it wasnt as cold as last year.

Stop by n ill let u use my gauge, see what Ur pressure is first…

From my understanding just about every system leaks.

The older the vehicle gets the more it leaks.

Get the pressure tested.

Make you sure you add some oil/mixed can for thr first fill of the season to help compressor.

yesssss , despite popular belief it isnt uncommonm for newer r134a systems top leak down and need a top off . buttt we dop a whole service pull it down into vacuum and inject proper weights and see what the pressures are . we also send a die into the mix just in case ya lose the charge in a week or 2 we can see what is up

What do you charge for this service? My new Jetta is going to need it, and depending on the hookup I may have a few more.

P.S. — Do you know where I can buy a good used AC machine? :slight_smile:

Thanks. My brother has a set of gauges and Im going to try it out this weekend. If that falls thru Ill let you know. Im just never home during the week anymore.

I think Ill throw a can in it since its only around $10 and if that doesnt work Ill let you know and Ill go from there. Its cool, just not cold.

I put a can in my old Neon and it worked fine for the one summer I owned the car.

my dad has the R2-d2 r134 machine at our house, but it just randomly stopped testing! anyone know who and where we can get dis shit fixed. we opened it up and tested a few curcits but way over our head

I wouldn’t just wing it and throw a can in it. At least get a kit from Advanced Auto or Pepboys that includes the hose/fitting and gauge. It’s basically a dumby gauge but if you stay in the correct color zone it will keep you from over charging the system and blowing a hose/ O-ring.

A/C machines are not cheap aka reclaimer & vacuum pump. Not to mention a good refrigeration manifold gauge set. A charging scale is also a win/win with auto’s being that you need to be accurate to the ounce!!!

Good luck

Zim

people that run parts stores make it seem like its a no brainer when doing anything auto related . its so easy to overcgarge the system , add to much oil etc etc . oh its cold ??? perfecttttttt dont worry about what else is gonna happen

I’m not going to spend all night quoting all the wrong in this thread, but the only person that knows what they are talking about is John…

YOU DO NOT CHARGE AN AC SYSTEM BY PRESSURE, YOU CHARGE IT BY WEIGHT. YOU CANNOT, I REPEAT CANNOT CORRECTLY CHARGE YOUR AC SYSTEM WITH ANYTHING SOLD AT A PARTS STORE.

HOWEVER IT’S PJB THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT, AND HE’S JUST GONNA DO IT ANYWAY.

-Travis, your resident MACS certified AC tech.

exactley , gauges are used to see if the system is running high pressure and whatnot still a needed component but not end all be all . like some will say oh the pressure is good but the a/c isnt cold hmmmmmm what could it be , oh yeah dumbass its got air in the system or the orfice tube is plugged or other shit . its so easy to fuck it up and wreck some exp shit

i laugh every time someone buys this junk from me. i laugh because its like 40$ for the coldest AC EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

side note. my 02 has original refrigerant. still icy cold.

and when its not ill pay the fee to have someone do it right.

I topped mine off with advance auto shit, it cost me barely anything with a coupon. My brother yelled at me because he has all the proper equipment including a vacuum. For what it’s worth, my A/C will put frost on your ball hair.

i never said it dont work , butt its easy to overcharge the system and wreck the compressor

Very true. As my brother put it “those advance auto parts faggot kits are for some clowns '82 Honda, not your new Murano” LOL