acceleration problem

ok when i hit the gas on my probe it doesnt really accelerate untill it his like 4k rpms, i dunno if its just not in the powerband or what, but if i hit it hard it just revs up and doesnt realy move like it should, but if i gradually accelerate its fine. clutch slipping maby?? its my first 5 speed, im really good on the clutch, never grind gears or anything, but thats the only thing i can think of for the acceleration lag. :gotme:

sounds like clutch goin to me.

If the clutch was slipping the tach would still rise faster than the car accelerates. When this happens the motor builds RPMs but the TQ is not transfered to the drivetrain. Sounds like the car is weak down low for whatever reason.

Thread moved

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I have 2 extra centerforce clutches but i realy realy realy dont wanna install a new clutch…it will the the biggest pain in the ass ever, and i dont have the tools or the money to do it.

well if you have 2 extra clutches

umm sell one and use that money to install the other one

Try this.

Go out and drive normally until you hit 25 mph. Then put the transmission into 5th gear and go WOT. This puts the greatest amount of load on the engine and if the tach rises much faster than the speedo then generally the clutch is not holding the torque generated from the engine and it is time for a new clutch.

ahh good idea…you soo smart

ok with the first sentence in the first post i would say a spark issue possibly… then your second sentence contradicts your first \ and i would say it’s the clutch definatley … do the test Don said … that’s the best way to test for slipping clutch … however don’t feather it into 5th lol make sure it’s fully in 5th before you hammer it …

on a side note anyone trying to fry a clutch: redline it put it in 5th from a stop and drop it … keep smoking it

:lol: :rofl:

lol…its just doesnt wanna grab till like 4k rpms, then i hit boost and it starts to go alittle more, but still kinda slow…i really dont beat the shit out of this car, it cost me so much to get the fucker on the road i cant afford to be breakin shit, but the clutch is steadily declining. Arent those clutches hydrolic? if so could it be low on fluid or somthing? sombody mentiond to me that it could be a possability, or need to be adjusted, you really dont get a burning clutch smell at all.

I think it is a cable clutch, not sure if there is an adjustment. But I thought that car did pull really odd. Probably grabbing up top because there is no power there.

hmmm i dunno im jst afraid it will break on me lol. If i happer on it i go threw the gears before i hit 50, the rpms go up but no speed.

sounds like clutch, they arent that bad to do depending on the car, most ive done i could fit the tranny out the bottom of the car, swap the clutch, get it back up in there and bolt it on in a few hours. depends how rusted/corroded bolts and such are. if ya need some help id be down next week sometime for gas money and lunch.

clutches are designed to grip harder at higher rpm, thats why it suddenly starts to catch like that, after it catches, theres enough load on the motro that it THEN starts to build boost

clutch swap FTW

thanks for the offers guys, yeah if anybody wants to come help, gas and lunch are on me.

u have two CF DF clutches??? i only saw one in ur car, and i dont remember if it was beat or not, call up advanced and auto zone see what a stock replacement clutch is.