Acetone as fuel additive

Has anyone considered or tried the acetone as a fuel additive? Awhile ago, I did a lot a research on it, and it seemed like a good argument. I tried it in the 535 and didn’t get a whole lot out of it, I calculated about an 11% improvement in my fuel efficiency. But maybe it’s the car, and it was in the dead of winter on one of the the nice cold windy Buffalo days. Has anyone else tried it? Thoughts?

Check out a useful site too: http://www.opensourceenergy.org/C8/Acetone%20in%20Fuel/default.aspx

I wonder why it increases efficiency. This has to be written by an engineer, because no chemist would leave that huge tad of information out.

but acetone is more expensive than gas per gallon…

It improves mileage because if you don’t retune for it, the car will run leaner (and make less hp).

Wont it eat at all of your seals?

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
hmm

Interesting find… can’t be all that great for the engine and internals though…

Did you check out the link? And ‘additive’. You put it in as a ratio. I used 2.4 ounces per 10 gallons.

doesn’t leaner = more power?

yea i think acetone is an ingrediant in octane booster…

no,lean is mean.

Well I think that’s kind of what my wonder is and the question for debate. There’s not a whole lot of documentation on it’s effects on rubber and plastics when diluted with gasoline. But I know for sure, in its pure form, it’s not the greatest.

so… rich = more power? I don’t think so.

Please re-educate me in 50 words or less.

apparently…

the oxygen in the acetone will burn more even. Also, it will absorb water. Also, it can make certain rubber parts very brittle.

Its awsome for taking paint off your hands lol.

or melting your hands in pure form :slight_smile:

There was a thread about this on the Expedition forum. Most found an initial improvement (15% or so) that fell off considerably after a few tanks.

My opinion… If there was a miracle device/additive that would make a big difference in fuel economy without adverse side effects, car companies would all ready be using it.

I am not in the mood to write an essay, this info is freely available. But the right AF ratio for max hp may be richer, leaner, or exactly what your car currently runs at. Any of the three are possible and which is operative will also depend on conditions. However, when I said that simply dumping acetone in will make it leaner AND decrease hp, I didn’t mean to imply less hp 'cause it’s leaner (see above). If there are no other changes, you will be replacing equal volumes of a fuel with a higher energy density (gas) with a fuel with lower energy density (acetone). So, unless some very strange stuff is going on you can be pretty sure power will decrease. Now, if you retune for the acetone, it’s another matter. And then OTOH, adding acetone may decrease knock. If your ECU is pulling timing due to knock sensor activity that might help power.

So, while generalizations always have specific exceptions, in this case I stand by my original generalization as generally true. Add some acetone and make no other changes and the result will be less hp and a leaner running engine, generally speaking.

The fall off is logical. What may be happening is that the ECU will “learn” over time to compensate for the lean condition created.

I like how the one website says,

“the vibration of the oxygen bond creates a stirring of the gasoline.”

I really think people don’t understand that there’s a difference between vaporizing and burning.