Esso, PetroCanada, Shell and Sunoco?

Well I don’t know if it’s just me, but I notice a difference, a BIG difference.

I always fill 89 first of all.

I AVOID PetroCanada like the plague, my car feels SHIT with it, I swear, I am NOT exageratting, when I fill petrocanada, doesn’t matter what, the car does NOT pull, it feels like I press the gas pedal and nothing happens its just noise. It’s scary on highway as I have trouble overtaking… WHY… is it just me, because I swear this is real.

When I pump shell on the other hand, it hauls, I can feel a difference, I can feel torque, with petrocanada, there is absolutely no torque, its just empty whistle of an engine sound and high revving with no movement nothing.

With Esso its descent as well, plus there I fill 91 when they are ‘out of 87’ and offer it at 87 prices. The only major difference is that I get very good gas mileage when running 91 esso. Over 400km to the tank.

Sunoco seemed the best to me, but I am not sure, I think shell runs better, it’s a tie between shell and sunoco fuel for me.

Petrocanada is like water in the car or somtehing, it just plain sucks PLUS their PUMPS suck, they are so bloody slow when filling gas, i freeze my ass off waiting.

Discuss.

Whenever I fill Sunoco in my dad’s 1998 Ford Contour, I definitely feel a pull. It’s not SVT btw, but I’m thinking about adding a chip.

If I can’t find a Sunoco, I go with Petro Canada. Man, does the car drive like ass with this fuel.

I’ve never tried Shell. I might give it a go. I’m actually in talks with Dan about dyno testing between Sunoco, Shell and Petro Canada with the Contour.

I don’t waste time with Esso. Something about Tigers, I dunno.

Oh and the 240, it only gets Sunoco 94 because of SR.

Ever sicne i got the car ive used Sonoco 91…a few timesi have put petro or esso when i had to …and when i go to the track or anything i put in 94 sonoco…seems to work well.

all 94 octaine in my sr, in my other cars its petro. never really hit up shell. esso i have put in sometimes. i think all and all i would just stick with sunoco. i heard some rumours that they might bring back 98 octaine

a_ahmed, what engine do you have? I usually fill up at PetroCanada because I have one of those citi petropoints mastercards that gives you 2 cents a litre off of gas. Performance wise, I have not really noticed any difference between brands. I get the worst fuel mileage from Sunoco generally. Filling up at petro Canada, I have seen upwards of 700 km before I had to fill up. The gas light wasn’t even on yet. That was really babying it though, and mostly highway driving.

The reason why Petro-Canada sucks is they use up 10% ethanol which can contain 1% water. It might be better for the environment but suck ass for ur motor if you want power.

i use petro most of the time but have noticed noticed a difference on the stock KA even when i put 91 sunoco in there… never tried 94.

pioneer because i get bonus bucks and they are 90% cheaper then the surrounding gas stations. usually 2cents cheaper then most gas station. i’ve also heard their gas is similar to sunoco so thats good enuff for me.

they recently added a program that you can transfer your bonus bucks to sick kids hospital.

best program out there imo that give back to the community

94 sunco… hurts the pocket pretty bad

I’ll 2nd that…

But I can normally get 150km to 1/4 tank so its not “that” bad… unless I boost the shit outta it, lol.

I got a chain letter awhile ago, it said that if you want gas prices to go down, Avoid Shell, and Petro because they’re the major players in Canada that change prices for all to follow. i use Sunoco 87, and get roughly 10-11 km’s per litre.

Ah no wonder the petro stuff feels like water lol… ill avoid it like the plague, i was so pissed yesterday driving on highway i feel a NOTICABLE big big difference between filling with other stations and petro…

Esso 91 = 400+km on ka24de

Shell 89 = NOTICABLE power

Petro = anything = sucks BIG

Sunnoco I don’t know im not sure, but its between shell and sunnoco for me when it comes to noticable power.

i usually use either shell or sunoco 91, i dont use anything else cuz i notice a difference in performance when i use esso or petro

i like sunoco cause they pump your gas aswell! i never thought of it as being the gas that makes my car do what it does… ill check on that from now on

Sunoco FTW…if you want power…Buttt…i have noticed i can squeeze a bit more Kms out of a tank using shell but not as much pull. This is with my SR and friends 02 wrx. 50kms or more every time with Shell.

actually recent studies show that ethanol eats our ozone away.

they are actually thinking of banning it soon.

it is said to do 50% more damage with ethanol, even tho its better for emissions but it does something to the ozone. a friend just told me this today.

ahhh very insteresting and i thought my car had lost power… I live beside a petro canada station thats all i use… I will try sunoco to see the difference. Maybe someone should get dyno sheets :wink:

There is no difference in your cars power between petrocanada, shell, sunoco etc.

Its in your head.

And running 94 will decrease your power unless you have a high compression motor, and your ecu advances timing depending on the octane of fuel which 240s dont.

Or your running a standalone/rom tune that allows you to advance the timing.

The lower the octane the better the power.

i use canadian tire 89 because my dad signed up for their credit card which gives u 10 cents off every litre…but i get really bad gas mileage, think its cuz its automatic?

anywayz before that i used to use sunoco or shell, i get like 200 km if i baby it on a little more than quarter gas, i never run the tank less than the last quarter

i hate petro canada too, and something about pioneer it makes me feel like the fuel’s been sitting in their tanks for like decades because of how run down their stations are, at least the ones i know…lol

pioneer and sunoco in my experience have very good octane regularity/quality, meaning often they are higher than advertised, and using a crappy car might grumble with esso but feel glassy smooth with the former two…

I noticed on cars requiring shit gas (87) esso feels the stronger in the city, more peppy off the line, grumbles a bit though, I can only attribute this to it’s erratic explosiveness, the additives they use or the impurities they contain (esso has high sulphur content) but it falls flat on it’s face when it comes to fully warmed up highway power…

petro canada always makes the same car feel lazy, that’s the best way to describe it, it’s fine on the highway when cruising but has no willingness to accelerate

I’ve tried shell a few times and it’s hit-or-miss, sometimes it feels good, sometimes flat, not as bad as petrocan but boring flat

sunoco feels good about 95% of the time