Advice on 94-00 BMW 7 Series

Will be shopping for a an e38 7 series in the next few weeks, wondering if anyone has any experience with these cars. The typical high BMW resale value doesn’t seem to apply to the 7s for some reason, so it makes it extra attractive (besides the fact the current gen e65 are so ugly).

Are these reliable cars? Should I consider a 5 series instead? What are some common things that I should be aware of? Any particular years I should shoot for? Any other cars I should also consider?

whenever i see “bmw 7 series” i think of tokyo breakfast

anyway, maxbimmer has a 7 series forum that could probably tell you in a bit more detail

Dennis, from what I know of the 7’s, they are obscenely expensive to fix, and contrary to most BMW’s, require a decent amount of maintenance. I’d stray away, pick up a nice 5 series…

thats true from what ive seen/heard the 7’s are way more expensive to fix, i would go with the 5

MY advice dont buy one

dont buy a bmw they are money pits

Avoid the 94 and 95 4.0L unless the block ‘has been replaced’ they had an issue where the gasoline in the US caused premature deterioration around the cylinders. If the block has not been replaced yet you still want a 94 or 95, the best simple way to see if they’re still good is to see if the idle is consistent and have the compression checked on each cylinder.

Like any car, the e38 will have their problems, most likely something electrical. However, some of the mechanical wear items can be pricier such as exhaust components.

The 750s are a very luxurious, large, and fast car. They have lots of toys and are a blast to drive, however they are larger and heavy. But still do have a sporty feel. Gas mileage will be lower in the 750s than the 740s.

The best things in general to check for on any e38 are typically items such as brakes, tires, glass. But also specifically the e38 check for worn steering parts, transmission issues, and make sure the cooling system has been well maintained.

The e38 is a (I think) a beautiful car. They are very large, have a lot of room, and a lot of toys, and definitely a lot of luxury and chic. They are great cars, and are worth less than the e39s typically. However, the e39s are a bit simpler, and a bit more common. So wear items and repairs are cheaper. My opinion is that if you’re not the Sunday mechanic type or just want a simple reliable car in the BMW line, check out an older e39 528i or 540i. If you commute in any way, or gas/cash may be an issue, check out the 5 series.

Happy hunting, good luck!

couldn’t agree more. The reason the resale value is so low is because 94-00’s have a shit load of problems.

I say look for a 540i in a manual and you’ll have a kick ass lux/sleeper with a ton of potential.----> almost got one myself. This car might be one of the only I would actually justify Dinan parts for too.

my $.02

If you dont buy it from a private seller, make sure you get some kind of warranty. I love BMWs, but I have to say they do tend to break a lot. At least the ones my friends and people I know have owned.

those 7 series are hot. but that’s all the input i have.

I would NEVER buy any car that complicated with a very limited supply of parts without a warranty. NEVER. Very nice car, but I shudder to think about how expensive an older one could potentially be to keep operating properly. Get one new enough to buy the manufacturers extended warranty or don’t buy one at all. To me, these cars should be leased new and never purchased. I cannot understand the high resale at all.

Don’t be afraid of BMWs. They will be your friend if you’re nice to them. :slight_smile:

parts are available, just not locally. that will be the case for any bmw. but there are a ton of sites online, so if you dont mind waiting 1-2 days for parts to come in if you need something, its straight

I love the 7 Series, old and current. I just love big cars. S-Class is sweet too.

Anyway, if parts and costs are a concern I’d go with a 5 series. However, I’ve know a few people with 7’s that have not had any issues with them for xxx,xxx miles.

So basically I am no help.

A friend of mine has a Late production '95 7 series. It’s a nice car haven’t had any major issues. All of your general repair items are available locally. Definitely look into the block if you get a '94 or early '95 There is a # stamped on it. Not sure what the cut-off is but I’m sure you can find it online. The gearing will keep it form winning any races from a dig but damn it drives nice. Lot’s of top-end and a lot of nice features.

If you want to avoid issues try to stick with a 5series and probably try to stay in a i6 motor.(please dont refer to bmw’s as v6’s lol) The 6cyl are pretty much bullet proof and will last many miles. Theres a reason why the resale is soo high on these vehicles. They last forever. Thats why I decided on my bmw instead of a civic. I rate them right up there with toyota/lexus honda/acura as far as reliability goes.

I personally have heard of seriouse transmission issues with the auto’s on the 7series.

haha get an 8 series

Botardtim already spelled out the majority of what I knew about the 7 series. It explains why they don’t sell as quickly as some of the other BMW models. I would suggest since you are moving to a densely populated area, you definitely look into the 540i, which is not as big of a boat but still has all the form and function of a comfortable well-refined daily driver. Plus it will cost less.

An I6 5-series would be far preferable, in my book.

I’d go with a 5. There are too many little gadgets and trinkets on the 7’s that tend to break when they get old (just like any other car would). And also what Coldaccord said. BMW parts are not really THAT hard to find and expensive. You just have to be willing to wait for shipping. There are enough good websites out there where you can find parts at pretty good prices not that hard. Example: I paid $45 each for a set of Brembo rotors for my ///M over the summer. Electronics are kinda expensive on them, typical wear parts and mechanical parts are generally pretty close to most other foreign cars.

as much as i like bmw’s inline 6 (I’ve owned 3 bmws with various inline 6es) I think I’m gonna go e39 540i 6 speed for my big daily driver investment in a couple years

or if the price has come down, i really want an e46 touring