Advice on buying a new plasma TV

I don’t think plasma is going to be the future of TV guys. Too many watts. The kuro’s look amazing, if you have the bucks pick up one. Pioneer is not making the panel for the kuro anymore, they farmed it out. I’m wondering if the quality is going to stay the same.

I think the future is going to be LED backlit screens.

I’ve always bought LCD screens, never had a problem with them. The blacks look a little washy but some of the higher end LCD’s look great.

I usually get TV’s from newegg. Free shipping and no tax.

The only LCD that looks good is the Sony XBR8 with Triluminos backlight technology.

Other than that, LCD is just ugly, laggy and not as good.

If you want a small TV, get a LCD, large TV, get a plasma.

Best brands in general: Pioneer, Samsung, Sony (Bravia Series), Sharp (Aquos Series)

Mediocre: LG, Panasonic

Bad: Vizio, Westinghouse, etc.

from a technical standpoint, why do you believe LCD has a better picture at lower sizes?

From my non technical eye, the smaller ones do look better sometimes. And most smaller ones are 720p.

I have a 37 inch olivia that is 1080i, it looks great to me. The blacks look washy that is my only gripe with it. I was watching Planet Earth on HD the other day, its still mindbending how good it looks.

Not bad for a 500 dollar open box tv.

I ask for a technical reason why and get a “my pos looks good to me” :picard:

It’s more of a “similar small- to mid-sized LCDs tend to cost less than comparable plasma screens, while larger plasma screens start to gain a price advantage and larger sizes are available.” I guess I should have qualified why it’s better.

E: And it looks like I said that the picture quality is actually better. Forgive me, it’s not true. I’d just woken up.

actually… panasonic has great plasmas… where as samsung, sharp do not.

Panasonic makes the best Plasma

my mom recently bought a 46" samsung 850serise. The picture is stunning and it has a lot of inputs including VGA for your PC. I install for directTV so I get to see a lot of TV’s and the 850 serise is up there with some of the best i’ve seen.

I have a sharp aquos 46" LCD and I miss my blacks of my old SD TV. Looking into some bias backlighting options though that I hope will help.
Picture is fantastic, just the blacks arent there.

how many people here have said get a panasonic plasma?

listen to them, they’re great tvs and you will get the best value out of a panasonic plasma.

Better yet go to a Best Buy and compare the TVs. You don’t have to buy from them I would definitely shop around. I personally have a 42" Sharp Aquos LCD and it looks awesome.

unless you have florescent lights in your living room and the magical ability to compare a bunch of uncalibrated TVs in an unbiased way; going to best buy to look at them really won’t help much.

Well then I guess he’ll have to weed through everyone else’s personal preferences or just buy one and hope it’s good.

Really I think anyone you get as long as it’s not the crap ones from target or w/e are going to be good. If you are a person that wants the most from a TV and has to have the greatest picture, then you should already know what to look for in a TV rendering this thread useless.

right now best buy has a samsung 50 inch plasma for 1150 and you get a free 19in lcd

edit: i have a 42" panasonic… great tv for the price

this looked like a pretty good deal today:

http://www.woot.com/

already sold out.

stop posting.

also stop posting. samsung plasmas are shit, sony and sharp don’t make consumer market plasmas and you don’t have a fucking clue.

dstar, please god do not make a purchase decision based on what either of those two said. the kuro is bad ass if you can get one at a good price. panasonic is blowing out their 800 series right now. you can find ridiculous deals on that. also, their 850 series should be headed that way soon. both of which are phenomenal televisions. you’ll get better color accuracy out of the box from those televisions, but you’ll still have better black levels on the kuro.

did you call the galleria best buy about that yesterday?

I went from a lcd to a plasma and I love it, no problems at all

I got a new Samsung 50" for $880 shipped to my door with no sales tax

just check around online, alot of places run sales for only a day or two, just takes some patience

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889187079 decent Tv or no? im looking to get something new also