Advice on buying a new plasma TV

let me start by saying while I don’t watch much TV or play a lot of video games, i do enjoy a quality experience when I do take the time to watch a movie/play PS3. My xmas gift from my parents was a 32" plasma TV (Vizio) which actually had a decent image after a little adjustment, and according to reviews holds up against a lot of the more expensive comparisons. well, a few days ago I turned on my TV to play some ps3 and green pixels started buzzing about the screen. so I returned it and I got 500 dollars out of it.

well now that I’m back to my old shit TV, i’m wondering if I should

a.) buy another 32" Vizio - mine seemed to be a dud since a lot of people DO like them according to a few searches I did
b.) pony up and buy that Pioneer Kuro 50" i’ve been eyeing up (i find it hard to justify the money but I love the tv)
c.) ask you guys for a little better advice on something cheap yet comparably baller

I have the money to spend, I just don’t know if it’s worth it. I was pretty happy with the 32" so maybe I should stick to that…ugh. Something about buying the baller 50" and keeping it for years to come is appealing…but I’d also like to do other things with my money too…

Any advice, A/V people?

Pony up for a better plasma, get like a 42ish for probably a little bit more

i like the 67’ DLP ones that run like 2k

I would like to keep it to a plasma flat panel…but what’s the deal with RPTV?

Specific models to research would be a plus. Again, I’ve seen the Pioneer Kuro 50" somewhere and thought it was amazing if that helps any.

I saw that 32" Plasma,weird shit being that they usually start at 42".

My friend has a Panasonic,he loves it…

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=207388760&listingid=20656862&dcaid=17902

Its probably the lowest priced/decent brand plasma you’ll find.

Word, I have that one in my attic and I think I like it better them my 50’’ Samsung.

just bought the 46inch panasonic plasma that was on sale at bestbuy for 999… and 3 years no interest.

however… now i have to sell the best tv ever made… my Sony KD-34XBR960
it’s a crt… but the best picture hands down… and rivals the best pioneer kuro at $5000 or so…

My advice would be to ditch plasma and buy an LCD, they are lighter, better quality picture and less burn in pictures.

WAT??? and I can show you burn in on my LCD and I have no burn in on my plasma, both are about the same age and the plasma being used more

i have a 42" lg plasma, and i love it. looks really good.

Plasmas have always been more susceptible to burn in pictures, and you tend to have a better picture when you are only looking for a 32" TV.

Its not until you get past 50" that Plasma picture quality becomes on par and sometimes better than LCD.

Sorry I like my blacks to be black, not some shade of grey…

and again, they were more susceptible when plasma was new to the market, modern plasmas have no issues with this anymore. :eekdance:

x2

wow… this thread shows that some people need to not post when they don’t know what they are talking about…

listen to 66impalaSS, and don’t buy from visio, beyond that good luck.

Buy the Kuro…they are amazing.

All I use my Panasonic 50’’ plasma is for gaming, no burn and I dont think it ever will. Its a great bang for the buck. Go with it you wont be sorry.

For the size of TV he is looking to buy an LCD is the way to go.

And yes Plasma has gotten better but burn in is still an issue with them.

But to each there own.

I was totally for Plasma until I got a 42" Panasonic.
It was super heavy, a power PIG, and ran hot.
I got rid of it.
It is hot out here year round and heat kills electronics. If enclosed it will not be happy.
I also do not like the fact that the thing is consuming several hundred watts when I can get half that or better in an LCD.
Considering these factors I will not buy a plasma again.
Newest LCDs have a comparable contrast ratio and picture.
Next one will be a Samsung or Panasonic LCD.

Anyone that complains about plasma’s “burn in” is stuck in the past.

Vizio is the worst brand for picture I’ve seen.

Plasmas run warm, why would your TV be on and enclosed? I’ve yet to hear an issue generated from plasmas heat. Its actually nice in the winter :slight_smile:

I’ve got a 42" Panasonic plasma, had it about a yr and a half, no burn in issues, and the picture is incredible. The older Panasonics ran very hot and needed fans to cool them but the newer ones don’t. LCD is a cheaper solution if you’re on a budget and use the TV a lot (plasma’s do use more electricity).