Plasma vs LCD

which would you go for? both are Vizio and the plasma is rated for 60,000 hours. Both are 42" the LCD is 1080p and the plasma is 720p but cost 100 beans less

Only a $100 and your thinking of getting a 720p?

Just get the 1080p.

the difference between 720p and 1080p is so minimal you probably wouldnt even notice.

plus lcd has much better picture hands down. theres no point to have a poll, lcd all the way.

the difference between 1080i & 720p is SURELY noticable.

oh, but maybe not on a 42"

^^ your right, but like you said not on a 42". but before asking yourself, 1080p or 720p, you should ask lcd or plasma. lcd> plasma

So right and so wrong.

While it is true that you will not notice a difference between 720p and 1080p until you get to 50"+ LCD does not have a better picture than plasma. Generally speaking plasma has a much sharper image and can display a much higher contrast ratio. Everytime an LCD gets higher contrast, plasma ups the ante. I think one of the best plasmas I have seen has a 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio. Contrast means, blacker blacks and whiter whites. I don’t recall the best LCD, but if I remember correctly it was somewhere around 30,000 to 1.

LCDs do better in a brightly lit room and they don’t experience any burn in. Burn in was a major issue with the original plasma TVs, but it is not a huge deal now. Most manufacturers have a program that you can run on the TV for several minutes to several hours that will correct any burn in. Never the less, there is still a “conditioning” period that you need to go through with a plasma. No still images for the first 100 hours and only 15% still image display for the first 1000 hours. To me that says, no video game hook up until over 1000 hours.

Service life of both LCD and Plasma have pretty much become equal - around 60,000 hours.

So, if I had to choose, I would go with LCD because I like to play games and watch TV in standard 4:3 ratio when I can’t get HD.

But if I was only watching video at high def, I’d go plasma.

does plasma have a side picture viewing problem?

Viewing angle depends on the TV. Plasmas generally aren’t as good as an LCD. My LCD is almost 2 years old and even then it was able to display a 178 degree viewing angle. Some plasmas don’t have an issue, some do.

DLP is the worst as far as viewing angle is concerned. But we aren’t talking about that.

No, it’s not about DLP, but I have to defend my set, since you brought it in to this. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome to come check out my DLP’s side boob. It’s solid for sure.

At least on par with the LCD upstairs, the LCD we put in moms house, and my friends plasma.

$0.02

I knew you would chime in on the DLP.

I should clarify, DLP is fine from the side. Top and bottom viewing angle suck. I like to lay on the floor from time to time so that’s out for me.

im very happy with my samsung 32" lcd, my only complaint is that i wish it was bigger. i keep saying im going to upgrade, but never do.

ahhh. from the floor makes sense, yes.

:tup:

Wait until January. Pre Super Bowl sales and unloading of 2008 models mean good deals.

Whoops. I get a F for not reading the first post and just responding to which I would buy plasma or LCD with none of the variables you posted. Change my vote to LCD.

Do you have links that show specs on these TVs? I’m not very familiar with Vizio.

Contrast ratio’s don’t really mean anything, only because their is no “standard” for measuring it. Manufacturer’s can literally make it up. However, plasma tv’s are the way to go. There is no such thing as permanent burn in, and absolutely NO break in period is necessary anymore. My plasma tv burns in from time to time, but thats only after playing COD for HOURS on end, and then turning it off only to play COD again the next day. When I see burn in, I set the TV to “Burn in Protection Mode” and let that play while I sleep, or am at work. When I wake up or come home, the ghosting is gone. Hope this helps. (Oh and don’t buy a shitty plasma. Buy only Panasonic or Samsung)

Junk. The only room I’d put a Vizio is in the garage, kid’s bedroom or bathroom/kitchen. Same goes for Insignia, or Dynex. Of the three mentioned Vizio is the best. Comparable to Sharp’s, RCA’s and Memorex’s. Basically a bang for your buck and not quality for your buck. If its for a college kid, or someone who doesn’t have the money to drop $1000+ on a TV…I guess its okay. IMO if you are spending over $1000 on a TV, then you shouldn’t have a problem spending an extra $300 and getting a name brand with some awesome features.

I know glare is a big factor, but the Panasonic plasma I have has anti-glare, and anti-reflection technology. Along with pixel shift, and other numerous burn in protection features. I’d imagine most of the lower-end brands (RCA, SHARP, MEMOREX, VIZIO, etc.) don’t have these features. Most Samsungs, Sonys and LG’s all have 'em.

I used to think that about Vizio as a whole until I put one in mom’s house. It was a “top end” model 42" LCD for ~1100 and I was ridiculously impressed with it.

It doesn’t beat the big names, but it would certainly be worthy of 90% of living rooms.

Granted, all the other Vizios I’ve seen have pretty well sucked.