lcd vs led vs plasma tv's

well, i think within the next few months ill possibly be in the market for a new tv. For referance i curently have a sony sxrd rear projection tv which i spent around $3500 for about 3yrs ago. Its amazing how much price has come down from then for tv’s. anyway, i think the picture on my tv is great but 50in just isnt cutting it anymore.

so ill be in the market for 60in and up preferably 65in range for around 3g or less. Ive always been under the impression that the lcd led tv’s were better but from what ive been reading its the opposite. that the plasma tv’s have faster refresh rates and better picture quality. I see alot of the plasma tv’s have 600hz refresh while alot of the lcd,led tvs have 120hz and some 240hz. Also ive read that the plasma has better color contrast ratio’s too, but ill be honest that i realy cant tell.

ive been looking at tv’s but noone realy has anything 65" in stock for me to view. Ive been to 2 different best buys and neither had a good selection for me to compare.

I guess im just looking for opinions from people that may know more then me about the tv’s.

IMO refresh rates are just marketing, TV is only broadcast in 60 HZ, so definitely anything over 120hz is gimmicky. one thing i always worried about with plasma is that if your power goes out, and it freezes, it will ruin the TV.

here is a plasma that has great reviews. anyone own this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+/+65"+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9431242.p?id=1218104302511&skuId=9431242#tabbed-customerreviews

I just bought a tv and from all the research i did i went with a plasma. Deeper colors, best refresh rate (great for sports) and there cheaper.

Panasonic and samsung are the best plasma brands. Go with one of those and you will be very happy

I too did tons of research and plasma won for me as well.

In addition to the color depth and refresh rate advantages described above, there’s also generally a much wider viewing angle for plasma vs. lcd.

I <3 my Panasonic Viera plasma.

The only thing that made me get an LCD over anything else was that I have 4 windows in the room where I watch TV the most. Plasma has glass over the front so you get a glare in rooms with a lot of light. This is not true with LCD. Just something to think about.

I have skylights so this is of concern, however i do most tv watching at night time so im not sure if it will matter much for me or not. i guess ill have to pay more attention to glare and the time of the day.

With a plasma after a few hours of playing COD you’ll burn the image into the screen.

I looked at that one and wasn’t overly impressed. I ended up getting a Pioner KRP-600M and I am very happy I went that route. If you want to check out my set, you are more than welcome to. :slight_smile:

Not true. Aslong as you buy a half-way decent plasma with anti-burn in technology, you’ll be fine. It’s going to take a hell of a lot longer than a few hours. Not to mention 99% of burn in isn’t permanent.

I have the same TV but 58" in my living room. GREAT TV.

I have a Samsung Series 5 plasma in my bedroom, that I’d also recommend. I’m not sure they are still making the Series 5, because I know the series 7 came out not too long ago.

every question you could possibly need answered has been answered here.

as for the burn in from game’s it goes away after a cpl minutes on a full HD station. Just like how TLC and Discovery like to keep their logo in the bottom right corner. It will stay with the tv for a short period of time. Maybe a min or so. We watch alot of TLC and Discovery on ours. (Samsung 50" plasma) Hr’s at a time and it has never retained a image for more than a few seconds.

My next TV will be an LED though.

LED > PLASMA > LCD

Oh and don’t really worry about glare. All Panasonic/Samsungs have anti-glare tech that eliminates that argument.

Most people confuse “burn-in” with “ghosting”. Once the cells/pixels mature on a plasma, it becomes irrelevant.

PS - fuck the break in period too. Too many people (myself included) are worried with this. I was very very very careful with my Samsung. After the Panasonic, I decided to be negligent and just watch the TV. Both are fine. Everyone else gets their panties in a twist over it. If the TV’s going to break/the picture is going become shit it will do so within a few days, just return it.

yea i agree with the break in period. Alot of guys preach about a break in disc before watching for long periods of time. I plugged mine in and started watching it. That was over a yr ago. No issues yet…knocks on wood

You’ll never have an issue if you haven’t yet. Your cell’s have matured. :wink:

^so there’s like a break-in cycle?

Yeah, people claim that you need to at first watch your tv’s on the lowest level settings possible (contrast, brightness, etc etc). The picture looks like SHIT. They say you should do this for like 200 hours.

It’s the same theory of breaking in a car. It’s bullshit. Just drive/watch the fucking thing.

ACtually that is not what the break in cycle. The actual cycle is taking solid color screens in different gradients and running them on your tv with higher contrast and brightness. This would age the phosphors equally so in theory have a better picture down the road. most people say that they have something built into most plasma that it only allows a certain contrast for the first 100 hours anyway. So if the manufacturer thinks its important so do I. In most cases peoples eyes cant tell the difference. You could put a $200 brand next to a 2000 brand and they think they look the same.
With my plasma in my theater room i broke it in almost to a tee. I did watch tv and play games during the cycle. All plasma get image retention but anything worth watching wont get image burn in. As most people say watching full screen tv for a minute eliminates image retention. The only time I ever see it is when there is a black screen like changing imputes.

I can’t stand any tv with 120 or 240 htz technology. To mee it looks like a 3dish cartoon all the time. Same thing with plasma, some people see phosphor streaks in movement on a plasma. I don’t.

The new LED tv’s are the best lcd technology to date but still isn’t up to plasmas quality. Led kinda cheats with blacks and turns the LED off and will actually display a darker screen than plasma but what it can’t do is display as much detail as a plasma can in dark sceens.

Hope this helps a little.

In my eyes Plasma>LED>lcd at this point in time.

Also most of this is true if you a buy a good name brand tv.