My Turn v. Buying new TV...educate me please!

Some basic guidelines first:

• Looking to spend between $1000 and $1300…

• Looking for nothing smaller than 32", and probably nothing bigger than 52".

• Looking for LCD since i’ve heard they’re the way to go over Plasma nowadays. (But, if i was misinformed…again, educate me).

Some basic questions:

• What brands to stay away from?

• What brands to look for?

• What stores that carry the best deals?

• What models of specific brands are better than others, and why?

• Most manufacturer warranties are 1 year covering parts and labor from what i’ve seen…are extended warranties worth buying from the store i make the purchase from? Example: on a $1200 TV i saw it was $200 more for the 4 year extended Geek Squad warranty from Best Buy…is it worth spending an additional 17% or so for the extra 3 years beyond the manufacturer warranty?

• Is it true that hooking up game systems such as XBOX, Wii, etc…extra accessories and such to newer TV’s may shorten the life of the TV? (I don’t know where i heard this, but it didn’t make sense to me since that’s what the input jacks on the TVs are made for…but i figured i’d ask to be on the safe side)

• Are there any questions i should be asking that i haven’t already?

Our last TV we’ve had for literally OVER 20 YEARS…and i’ll be spending way more now on this one than the previous cost, so i’m hoping to get a LOOOONG life out of it.

Oh yay I need the same thing.

I just bought a new tv (different size) and found a lot of really good technical information over on avsforum.com. If you don’t want to get that technical, just look on cnet for some good reviews and do some price searches.

LCD is good for watching movies, normal tv. Plasmas I’ve been told are better for video games as the picture is alittle better. Best Buy usually has some great deals going al the time. I would look into them. YOu could try stereo advantage but I’ve heard they are overpriced, however you have the option of a lifetime warranty.

plasma are better.Most people think plasma die out faster then lcd.Thats not the case now and for quick moving things like sports plasma is better.

Samsung.One of the best quality for the buck.

plasma is being phased out so they are cheaper, spec for spec, than LCD.

I’ve also heard that LCD have less problems with glare than Plasma does…i need a TV with MINIMAL glare since if you’ve ever seen my house/TV room/living room…you’d know we have a set of glass doors to your back when you’re watching TV, 3 huge skylights above you when you’re watching TV, and a huge window the size of the entire wall to your left when you’re watching TV…

You shouldnt but a decent TV until you move out of your parents house.

+1. On the other hand in June, i picked up 2 42" Panasonic Plasma’s from rosa’s for 599. Really nice tvs.

Honestly.

I would buy from newegg.

I’ve bought 3 TV’s from them in the past year (two for my father, one for myself)

They do such a nice job, no problems. Free shipping on most, and no tax.

Its hundreds of bucks cheaper than best buy.

I only bought LCD’s, they are more energy efficient, and the picture on some of the good ones looks amazing.

For 1000 bucks you can get a pretty high end TV…

You can go cheaper and still be happy.

I picked up a 37 inch olivia for 399 or something like that, it was open box from newegg.

Go check out rosa’s. They always have the best deals.

bjs and sams usually have the best deals locally. u gotta constantly searching if shop online.

wat?
go to local store, find tv you want. write down model number.
go to google products, type in said model number.
buy from lowest priced reputable store.
win.

I’ve got a Samsung 52" LCD and would highly recommend Samsung. I can give you a good hookup on a Samsung 50" Plasma/LCD in that price range. PM me if interested.

samsung :tup:

I love me LN52A750

UPDATE:

Think i’ve made up my mind on this baby:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9251481&type=product&id=1218068505433

Only question i still have is if the 4 year extended protection plan is worth the extra $180.

Will the 1 year manufacturer warranty be enough?

dont buy it from BB IMO… you can get it from another vendor and save a ton online…

OMG… i just noticed… DONT BUY A 60HZ LCD. get a 120

Why?

I’ve read reviews…and for what i’m use to, this will be plenty enough of an upgrade.

go look at a 60 and 120hz tv… there is so much motion blur on 60’s its crazy… just my opinion here. no need to jump to a 240hz - your eyes wont be able to tell the difference. BTW…

check out avsforums.com to learn more about lcd/plasma’s…