advice on my confusing setup

ok, here it goes. As you can see in my sig i am building a 92 hatchback which is obdI

the motor i am using is a d16y8 which is obdIIa

this has been a battle to get this motor to function correctly in an obdI setup

all my electronics are currently setup just fine. all sensors are plugged in, i had to swap out the alternator and dizzy with obdI parts.

So the only thing left was running all of the vaccumm lines. This is the hard part, i used this article from H-T.com for that, ARTICLE.

There is one slight variation. he has a d16z6 throttle body, i dont. so the part on the evap canister that goes to the throttle body is not hooked up at all.

You will also notice in the article that there are 2 lines that run out of the front of the manifold, one goes under the manifold and is connected to the pcv. I have no idea what to do with the other one, in the article it is left bare.

So I fire up the car, it starts and idle like shit, i hit the gas, it bogs down and dies. With the hose from the front of the manifold plugged, it idles better but still cannot accelerate, im pretty sure its leaning out.

So my question is, what do i do. do i get a d16z6 TB and install that so i can hook up that other vac line into the evap canister, or do i get a d16z6 manifold and swap the whole damn thing. or is there something else wrong with my car??

21 views and no replies?

dude, I could prolly help you troubleshoot it on saturday if you’re free.

yes i am free all day, ill provide beers and food, i live in amherst

i neeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddd help

316-8454 call me…I’ll probably be in the area from about 6-10 and I’m sure I could help ya out.

called u and left message

booyah, 99_Civic_si came over last night to troubleshoot the setup. We found that the wiring on the Throttle Angle Sensor was fucked up.

Started with pulling the codes

Found a code on the TAS

Andy explained how that worked. told me that at rest, u should get a reading of .45v and at wot u should get around 5v

we were getting a reading at rest of 4.8v, really fucked up

tried a spare, same thing, we concluded that my wiring was fucked, and that i should re-run the wiring for that to the ecu

So today i was looking through the manual for the ecu diagram. found a page for troubleshooting the TAS. went through the flowchart with my trusty multimeter and figured out that the ground wire for my TAS was bad.

I ran a wire directly to the ecu for that. Went back and checked voltages, it was correct.

I went ahead and clocked the TAS so that it was reading .45V at rest.

Put it all back together, and it was working. Car sounds much better. and best of all no CEL’s. Thanks a lot andy, i owe u one.

now onto my laundry list of things that need to be done.

awesome dude…One step closer to finishing your project.
This is precisely the shit I’m down to lend a hand with, glad I could help.

ONCE AGAIN 99CIVICSI IS THE MAN!

hell yeah