Need to pass emissions asap

I have a 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback and its original motor was a d16y7. So the stock computer is an obd2a and the transmission is 5 speed.

In November I purchased a 1997 JDM b20b that has about 30,000 miles on it from Tiger Japanese in Toronto and it actually had the distributor and alternator, and intake manifold on still.

I purchased axles, shift linkage, and halfshafts in Ft. Erie at a junkyard, as well as a 5 speed tranny and the starter…all from a 1997 Integra LS.

We put a DC 4-2-1 header on and My friend switched out the intake manifold with one from a 1997 Integra in order for the hood to close since the crv intake is way taller. For whatever reason we had to use the stock d16 throttle body; something about the other one was “backwards”. We put 97 GSR radiator hoses on. We put a stage 4 clutch and 8 lb lightweight flywheel on the tranny.

The part I knew wasn’t right was the motor mounts. I told him I needed a kit and he said no we didn’t…in the end I was right. We also used the d16y ecu (non vtec for both motors mentioned). For whatever reason the ecu worked this whole time.

I drove with a ghetto motor mount setup that consisted of the use of longer bolts for the bracket on the upper driver side and a bunch of washers. It held up from November all the way til the end of March before it blew. Luckily the bolt didn’t snap and my motor stayed in til I replaced it down the road.

So anyways we got the motor mounts from innovative and changed the required mount brackets with those from a 99 si. I ordered an obd2a ecu from a 1997 Integra LS with manual tranny from a junkyard in Virginia…a p75. I hooked it up and it ran like crap. So I just hooked the d16y back up for the moment.

Right now we have no catalytic converter or o2 sensors on the exhaust. I have them but haven’t put them on yet. Plus we ended up using the fuel injectors off the d16y motor cuz the b20 ones kept making the car stall and not run.

So I think I mentioned all I can remember off the top of my head. I need to pass emissions since my car is a 96. Is the p75 ecu making it run like crap or is it that the injectors are too small and I need Integra ones? Or is it the lack of cat and o2 sensors? Or a combo? Does the ecu need to be reprogrammed??? I am not a certified mechanic by any means. I know some but not enough to fix this alone.

Please pm me if you know what it could be or if you can point me to a person or site that will solve my issues. Thanks guys for your time!:nerd:

There is no “emissions” test, only a visual inspection in WNY.

You need a cat for the visual inspection.

You need an O2 so that the ECU doesn’t throw a CEL.

EGR system falls under the same circumstances.

running on no O2 will make it run like poo…

put the cat on and hook up the 02 sensor
the ecu should be fine, perhaps reset it after u reinstall the o2 sensors

and i’ll have b18b integra injectors in about 2weeks if u still need them,

and run the LS Ecu, its prob running like shit because of the difference in flowrate/mapping between the dseries and LS, which is why it’s “okay” with the dseries ecu w/ dseries injectors, i would assume the flowrate would be less, but that’s just a guess

why cant u use the LS Throttle body?

and upon startup your car is gonna idle like poo with the flywheel, mine will almost die out, i have a 9lbs one

Mine isn’t that bad, def isn’t perfect but it is not shitty.

if you have no CEL on NO LUBE SHOP IN WNY WILL VISUALLY CHECK FOR EMISSIONS CONTROL DEVICES

true that^

wise advice!!

wow, thats quite the story you got there.

talk about a crazy weird set up

yeah tell me about it! Well Friday my friend from Midas is going to put the cat on and hook up the o2 sensors. Then I will throw the LS ecu on and cross my fingers. Yeah Deebo let me know if you get the injectors in a couple weeks in case I end up needing them…how much will you sell em for?

fuck the cat! just put in the O2’s

idk… 20bucks? lol

sounds like a deal, just pm me when you can sell em to me and we can meet up

ok so an unnamed shop is trying to help me pass emissions but they say that my o2 sensor wires are too short to add a cat on. They welded a bung in place to put the bank 2 sensor in so both sensors are in now…but i still get codes for both. I was thinking maybe buy that trick piece for the bank 2 sensor so that it reads ok. Then buy a brand new o2 sensor for bank 1. But I am worried that it may still read a code and waste valuable money…any help is greatly appreciated.

leave the bank 2 sensor running free-air and it doesn’t trip a code.
If both sensors are throwing codes you may have issues with your heater control wires too, just something to keep in mind.

The P75 ran like crap because your JDM B20 has no crank angle sensor, and the USDM ECU is looking for one. Unless you took care of this some other way…

<-- had a 98 jdm b20 in a 96 hatch before

yeah we spliced the wires by the ecu to trick the crank angle sensor…it is reading the same signal as the distributor…cool huh… heater control wires eh…now i am in over my head…i am a noobie when it comes to electronics…anyone wanna help here…i will pay as long as it isn’t crazy money

oh and i got that sensor two bung that tricks the sensor…so that will be all set

So is it throwing any codes?

it is throwing bank 1 sensor, bank 2 sensor, and speed sensor as of right now. I don’t want to buy a brand new 02 sensor for bank one unless it needs it. The moral of the story is that I should have never bought a 96 and up civic! lol