AEM EMS...a test.

Hey guys,

I just wrote up a quick article on my site about some dyno action last night…

The Car: S13 with SR20DET. STOCK turbo, STOCK injectors, STOCK MAF.

The Test: Run the car exactly how it showed up at the shop. The owner had installed a manual boost controller and was running at about 10.5-11psi of boost pressure. Then, install and tune a plug-and-play AEM EMS.

The Goal: To maximaze the potential of the SR20DET motor while still maintaining its reliability, drivabilty and ultimately improving its gas mileage.

Check out the results at www.U2NDyno.com

Now what would something like this cost, for the EMS and for the labour and dyno time, just a rough estimate would be great. Something to consider.

For a system exactly like the one tested you are about ~$2100 in the car and tuned!

looks great

which sr20 is it s13 or s14 sr?

Did you log all the pulls on AEM?

I’m curious to compare. :fingersx:

wow… that’s pretty freakin’ cool… stock sr, turbo, injectors, maf and you got to 248rwhp at 13psi? that’s so awesome… i’m curious as well… this was a s13 SR?

Would powerfc yield the same or similar results? You should do one with power fc :D…lol

Jon

Blacktop S13 SR

on stock t25 hurricane w/ powerfc did 266rwhp/259rwtq with a bit more boost… similar setup but with FMIC so i dont see any reason the powerfc cant accomplish the same.

i watched dan work his magic yesterday on this car and he knows his shiznit.

also went for a ride in the car later in the evening and it feels great and super smooth.

Seen this car today runs nice must admit, Mark the turbo is a t28 right?

I think Dusty was on bigger injectors which allowed him to run ~16psi. At 13psi I was about as far as I was confortable going on the stock injecotrs. The MAF was no close to maxing out, but the little 370s we almost static.

Tee hee - aww shucks

Nope, it’s a T25, it’s an all stock SR.

Wow makes me wanna bring in my stock RB20 to see what you guys can do :smiley:

OMG , post 666 ^o_o^

^^^ Uhh, DO IT.

x2

Mark,

Got MAP instead of MAF. I’d love to see how much the car picks up from switching to a that setup. If not anything it will run much smoother right Dan?

i know i’m a huge noob and this is probably not the right place to ask this question but i’ve yet to hear/witness an actual advantage of map over mafs… can someone give me a brief rundown of advantages? like, particularly on a setup like 98% of SON where the car is an SR with a few bolt on mods

I won’t bother going into the tuning details but both MAF and MAP cars can be tuned to were the driver couldn’t tell the difference between the two. There are many situations were both have their advantages…however I always prefer a MAP based turbo car because of one thing…blown chargepipes.

There is nothing in this world I hate more than ripping 'tec on some back country road or at the track and blowing a lower charge pipe on a MAF based car. If you can’t fix it on the side of the road or don’t have the right tools, you have to try to limp home, fouling plugs, contaminating oil, etc or you better have CAA Gold.

On a MAP based car, no problem. Cruise home just like any N/A car and fix it.

Oh, and new MAP sensors are way cheaper than new MAF sensors…

fair enough, thanks for the answer danno :smiley:

I pretty much told you/Mark the same thing on IRC the other night (what dan said about pipes blowing off):rofl:

Anywho, I’m a total n00b at this as well but from what (little) I’ve read, about MAP being better throttle response wise. I haven’ tuned MAF, but I find it really easy to tune MAP on the AEM

A decent read I suppose:

http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2993

Also did you know Joe’s GTTT uses twin Cobra (I believe) MAFs and pushes over 1100HP? :noes:

MAP is certainly easier to tune on AEM. Boost compensation is the cat’s nuts