AEM EMS???

How is AEM EMS, currently there is no other way out there to tune '06 up s2000’s because of the Drive-by-wire except via VAFC which i’m not touching and I recently discovered that Autowave that is a Honda/Acura shop out of Huntington Beach has made a harness that will allow you to tune with the AEM EMS. I want to here experiences with this product. Do you have to use the UEGO wideband with EMS or can you use others? Does Hybrid tune with it as well or anyone else local?

Thanks

AEM EMS has been great to me. I had the UEGO on it for a while but decided to get rid of it. Hybrid does tune with it(Jay only). I think that Strict Fab does also. The options on AEM EMS are awesome but very complex in comparison to Crome. The reason I went with AEM EMS was b/c I didn’t want to switch to OBD1 and deal with the IACV issues. The EMS comes with basemaps for you to run with so its pretty much plug and play. You can d/l the software for free on aempower.com I believe. I’m pretty sure that any wideband will be ok for use with it but you might want to check AEM’s forums on that. You can always switch back to your unaltered ECU which is nice also if you would have a problem.

So basically its like a piggy back, just info runs from your ecu through the EMS and back to your ecu so to speak. Im really interested in finding out alot of info about this because from what ive researched so far with the s2000 it is tuned very conservatively and just a good tune will show pretty descent increases. And if this harness that this shop supposedly has will work that would be awesome

No, this is a standalone unit. You unplug your 3 harness’s from the factory ECU and plug them into the EMS. Load up your map and woo-laa all done. If you have someone else w/ the same mods ect… you could prob just snag their map if you have a wideband installed for safety.

-Actually, you would unplug your 3 harness’s, plug the adapters into them, then plug in the EMS.

What motor is in your car? F series?

What AEM box are they recommending you to use with the conversion harness?

the AEM EMS is not for beginners to say the least. it is a full stand alone unit

f22c and i have no idea haven’t gotten that far yet

educate me please, what is a full standalone, compared to chrome? Im not afraid to learn.

thanks

with AEM, considering that AEM doesn’t have a specific box for your car yet since you have to use adapters to plug it in, you will have to create a fuel and timing map from scratch. not to mention, start up and all the other stuff you have to mess with on AEM. it totally takes the place of the factory ECU.

Unless you plan on major power I would just wait on another system to come out that has a basemap for your car for ease of install

I would really like to stick with something like hondata because ive seen that type of system before. I had no idea how the EMS worked. I tried to get info on hondata if they were designing something for drive-by-wire since the TSX, new Si, and mostly all the new honda/acura cars have it. Wish they would hurry up because the S is supposed to have a lot more in it just how it is.

i amlooking into AEM for a future project that i have. i am interested in seeing how it will work. but other than that i cannot give any more info. i am looking forward to using it though

i dont think i wanna mess with the S that much, considering I still owe a bunch on it and I can just play with the hatch, but if you get it you can be the guinea pig lol

wray…if your looking for something that can be street tuned go elsewhere for sure. Most tuners now seem to be efficient in tuning with AEM including Hybrid, Strict Fab, Passen Motorsports, and a few other locals I can’t remember the name. From what tuners have told me it seems to be one of the better tuning tools over the others - most saying hondata being pretty much just as good. If there are guys running it already you would just have to get a map from them(email it to you) and take it for a tune. Since they are in the $1000 range I would make sure its worth the extra 15-20hp to you.

so far Ive found one guy that is using this on the s2000 forums, and he was basically the guinea pig for the harness that autowave designed and his car is boosted. I haven’t made my final decision yet im definetly going to research more before I do anything.

s2000’s are the shit to tune with aem, i’ve done like 4 of them now. the only problem is, i haven’t done one that is an 06 with the adapter harness, so i can’t guarantee that it will work as it should. thats something you would have to check with that autowave place about.

strict fab? they’ve been out of business for like a year now.

thanks J, if I find out more about it and do my homework would you be willing to try and possibly talk to folks that know because obviously you know alot more about the details then me and you would be the tuner so they are things you can ask that i would have no idea about.

How have the n/a s2k’s you’ve tuned responded on the dyno?

AEM is sweet to work with in my opinion. I did not do the initial tuning on mine but have been testing several different timing maps with 104 fuel and to calculate timing in the software couldnt be easier. If they make one that uses your stock harness you will have it made as it will come with a few basemaps to get you runnin / idleling right from scratch that you can then build off of.

whatever you do make sure you get a wideband that is compatible to the AEM and get that shit hardwired into the EMS

aem ems is super rad, but for sure not for a learning experience.