Afgan 747 crash

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/erie/plane-operated-by-wny-company-crashes

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WIVB) - A plane that crashed Monday at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan was operated by an Orchard Park company.

All seven American crew members on board the Boeing 747, operated by National Air Cargo, were killed when it crashed shortly after taking off from the base. Company president Glen Joerger says none of the crew were from the Western New York area. The crew members were from Michigan and Kentucky.

It remains unclear what caused the plane to crash. The NTSB is investigating.

Yeah. They did make that claim. They obviously aren’t accustomed to a world with dash cams.

My understanding is the plane stalled, usually full throttle and all the way forward on the stick to try and level the plane out to get speed/lift. With the wings and air flow and obviously the pitch of the elevators… when wind pushed at the rear wings, it would probably pivot at the front wings causing it to nose down. (I am no pilot, nor am I saying my comment is right… just my thought)

Based on your description 100’s of planes would perish a year in storms.

I’m not a pilot but I play one on the internet…

Explain. Just curious how you would correct a stall.

Edit: sorry, not full on the stick forward but slowly trying to correct it. Either way the front needed to be pitched forward and gas needed to be applied to get forward thrust again to allow air flow over the wings to give lift.

I mean, it would have to be static winds in excess of 200 mph to move a plane’s tail from it’s path of ascent.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

I couldn’t begin to tell you. I just know that wind doesn’t randomly cause planes to flop out of the air. Mechanical/payload issues do.

Fucking treadmills

What? I said the plane stalled, then when falling… is when it pitched forward from pressure at the wings/pushing forward on the stick… and most likely the balance that the front would swing foward.

again, I didn’t say I knew it. It was a guess and I stated that.

Edit: notice how long it took for the plane to balance flat. If you drop something out of a window, object has flat surfaces in the back and round in the front, what are your thoughts would happen. The wind from falling would hit the flat, tip it forward where easier air flow would be.

:clap:

The plane could have fell the way it did because the lifting component of the wings ceased to exist (Stall), which changed the center of pressure & gravity, causing the plane to fall nose down like it did. Planes have a different balance while flying compared to falling/resting. OR it could have been a microburst; you’d have to wait for the report to come out to find out.

In other words, Magic.

To recover from a stall, one applies full power and lowers the angle of attack. With weight so far into the back of the airplane/other mechanical failures; the pilot seemed unable to reduce the angle of attack.

I am a pilot, albeit a student one.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this pretty much what I said about the stall and trying to correct it. I just added… which is incorrect, pushing fully forward on the stick. Its a gradual thing to regain the correct angle.

Edit: I may not know exactly what to do, but I know stalling planes on Flight simulator almost always turns into a nose down position when you do it.

Somewhat. Full forward would put your nuts into your chest cavity though. Depending on the type of stall you just need to lower the angle of attack sufficiently to recover, but lose as little altitude as possible.

Yeah, I didn’t think about the full forward and the fact it can cause more of a stall since you are still removing the correct flow of air over the wings.

I cant wait, within the next few weeks here I’m going to be heading to either Lancaster or Akron to do an hour of flight lessons. I’ve been waiting for this since December. Finally going through with it. Years and years of using Flight simulator and buying newer updated versions of it. haha

Could have been a Microburst, could have been load shift. Not gonna know until the data recorders are recovered. I have included a bit of science below.

http://www.flyngo.com/%20fig-7-1-15-microburst-encounter-during-takeoff

http://www.fss.aero/accident-reports/look.php?report_key=199

http://archive.org/stream/nasa_techdoc_19920008757/19920008757#page/n0/mode/2up