Air tools

Ok, so I have read many different views on air compressors, even on this website, but I’m still not entirely sure what would satisfy my needs, basically just run an impact wrench with around 650lb-ft. This would be the first air tool I buy. I don’t really care about tank size, because noise isn’t too big of an issue, but like what about horse power and all that other stuff?? any suggestions?

buy biggest one you can afford. you can never have too much air.

have been seeing them on CL with some good deals. wrayzor on here was selling nice size one.

a kid i know has a two phase big ass one from sun ford on 19 when they closed. i can ask how much he wants for it… it would be enough to run a ford dealer.

Whats two phase?

buy the biggest you can afford.

yup, and dont skimp… i got a husky compressor kit from home depot, and it is shit

the 30+ year old impact gun i have is 100x better than the brand new husky one

220 volt i think

theres only single phase and 3 phase

He is prob. talking about a 2 stage compressor. If it was used to supply air a Ford dealership it is more than likely it is a 2 stage and prob. 3 phase for something that big.

i meant 3 phase im a tard… thanks todd. but anywho…

This is the one we have at our office.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=221580-14989-LLA4508065&lpage=none

It does a good job most of the time, but I would also suggest getting a electric impact gun as well.

I have a 5HP 21 gallon upright compressor. It will power my impact with no problem. I can remove between 10-15 lugs before has to fire up and refill the tank. I wouldn’t get anything much smaller than that, or you will be frustrated and also be waiting. I had a 2 HP “pancake” compressor that could hardly push the impact for long enough to remove one wheel.

yeah it’s 3 phase, which is different than just having a 220 line run…only gonna see 3 phase in select comercial/industrial buildings…

i have what looks to be a 60 gallon range horizontal compressor that is old as dirt at my garage. it uses a leather belt to drive the pulleys, not a v belt. dont know if it works or not. was left in the garage when i moved in.

tank should be good, i imagine the compressor head or electric motor is bad. it was in the building when i moved in, and almost cost me my nuts to push it out back… free to a good home. you haul. no f-ing clue how you will pick it up to get in a truck as it is heavy as fuck and probably froze to he ground right now.

someone w/ time to invest–probably be worth it. as you could clean it up/degrease it and use the tank. the air head side you could always replace w/ something new. the electric motor side would be easy enough to replace w/ something new too.

I would be interested, however I have no idea what kind of pump to look for and it sounds like thats an older one anyways so I’m not sure if I could get a good pump/motor for it. I think I’m on the look out for around a 20-25 gallon compressor if anybody here knows anyone…

check out air-tek, in irwin, they sell compressor tanks, motors, and pumps, I got the one at my shop there and it cost me like 4-500$(cant remember), i turn it real slow so it will last me forever, and it fill up my 80gal tanks in about 5 minutes…

Also try to get a belt driven not a direct drive.