Albany Speed Shop / Krazy Kid Kustoms 2004 Jetta Track Car

As most of you know, Albany Speed Shop and my guys are taking my vandalized 2004 VW Jetta 1.8T and turning it into a joint effort project. The idea is to turn it into a 70% track car %30 street/show car. An all-out, rattle your brain race car with show car external appearances. We will track the car and bring it out to as many major shows as we can next year, in efforts to promote the awesome grass roots style automotive skills and atmosphere Albany Speed Shop brings to the table.

My idea is this, use this thread as a brainstorming tool to gather ideas and get projects rolling on the car, then the actual work and progress will be documented as the work gets done under the Albany Speed section, as to keep the 80 pages of bantering out of the thread and keep it professional for Albany Speed.

What needs to be done:

Interior

• Cage
  • Seats
  • fuel tank
  • plumbing
  • electronics

Exterior

• body repairs
  • body modifications

Motor

• cyclinder head
  • intake manifold
  • intercooler system
  • cooling
  • turbo selection

Transmission

• gear ratio selection
  • case bracing
  • shifting improvements
  • clutch selection
  • axle modification replacement

Suspension & Chassis

• coil overs
  • sway bar links
  • chassis connectors and braces
  • motor and transmission mounts

Strip entire chassi and spot weld all the seams

burn it and buy a better platform

FUCK. beat me to it. :thumbup:thumbup

True story.

…now define track for me (1/4, roundy round, road course, hillclimb, rally)

I dont know about going that far. The entire interior is sripped right now. Still have to remove the sound deadning and the dash and some other stuff, but once all that is gone we can start on the cage. Its a royal pain in the ass to stitch weld the seams, becasue they are bonded with seam seal and its a dick to clean, and you never really get it all out, so when you start welding the seam it pops and farts as you burn a weld.

I will have to take a look at it again and see how this one is. its not out of the question thats for sure.

:Idiots everyone knows nothing can beat an MK4 jetta.

track: mostly straightliner. but not to the point that the suspension cant be modified, or weight balance isnt so far forward that first turn you take the ass end is so light it loops out.

I know its either one way or another, 100% drag will never turn left and right correctly. Its too new, nice and clean body wise, and expensive in my eyes to take the risk of sending it off a turn on a hill climb / rally. My skills arnt there to send it around a road course all out and be competitive, but not to say it wont be a “fun day” road course car to learn in.

I know it probably sounds fuzzy. Not to mention the turbo more than likely will put the power band up top in the revs, so it wouldnt be a great tigth course autocrosser. I would like it to still have the ability to take a turn though. So we could make provisions for weight placement and what not to get it to do so.

I would get the big port cylinder head and send it to Applied flow and for a turbo I would do the precision 6262 and the 6spd trans

id go to QEDpower. Bob Quindazzi is the VW engine/head guy.

Ahh I have just always seen crazy power Honda heads come from Applied flow

Before we send all the stuff out to big name people, albany speed like to support their local partners as best as they can. They have a few great local P&P people they know, so we will first see what they can offer. I am sure you can understand.

Also I read a lot about the AEB vs AWP ported head theory. Allot more people are porting the AWP stuff to get port speeds up and get the same CC flow an AEB does and then some. Also I already have a AWP head, and an extra AWP manifold I planned on cutting the runners off and making a sheet metal intake and larger throttle body for. Because we already have the parts, we will first entertain the ported AWP idea, then if it doesn’t cut it or isn’t feasible, just swap to AEB and go from there.

what you guys heard about going AWP ported over AEB?

Dont forget to replace the missing emblems! :lol

LOL i still smile at that paper work when I look at it.

The insurance guy came to look at the car and under the prior damages section they put “trunk is missing emblems”. :rofl

hey whatever they can write up just take it lol, tell them those jerkoffs spray painted your wheels flat black too :lol

The aeb is significantly larger then even a ported awp. I know applied flow is a local business that Synapse sends their heads out to.

if youre making it a drag car then carry on. cut everything you don’t absolutely need out of it, and then some. cage it, do burnouts or w/e.

Get big… do work

What he is trying to say is that a properly ported AWP has the potential to flow the same numbers as a stock or even ported AEB. The difference is that with more material to work with you can get the same flow numbers with higher velocity and have a much broader power curve. The $$$ demand for the AEB head may out way the benefits.

Without welding material back in, you can port an AWP to be a few CC’s bigger intake and exhaust than a stock AEB.

I have a lead on a build (pag parts) AEB, cams valves & springs. and I already picked up an AEB intake for the runners for $50. If the deal goes through on the head, ill call it a day there. if not, I will burn up the AEB intake and make a manifold to sell/practice on and keep looking into the AWP route. Or find a AEB core for a few hunge and go that route. Doors are open to all posibilities.