Alternatives to Norton Antivirus

I have used Norton since before college and have never really had any problems. I got an email from them today that my credit card will be hit for like $50 since my subscription is up. I have a day or two to change my mind if I want to cancel the subscription and get something else. Are there any other programs out there that are as reliable and less expensive? As long as it has live updates for virus definitions and can be on more than one computer (we have a desktop and laptop at home) it would be fine with me.

What do you guys use? The only program that I used and did not like was McAfee.

i use the FREE version of AVG…

I am also a fan of AVG. I recommend it to all of my clients, use it at home, and have deployed the network version to more computers than I care to remember.

The free version leaves out some anti spam stuff though.

Is there a pay version?

free avg on desktop, avast on servers

I went to AVG’s website and it says the free version only lasts for 30 days. What happens after that? Can I still update virus definitions?

I think you are looking at the TRIAL version of the Premium\Internet Security version.

Here is the one you want: http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

ahh thanks a lot. That should work just fine for me.

free AVG ftw!

Avast ftw

avast

I have had great success with AVG Free.

antivirus is for pussies.

i use corporate symantec. it uses little resources, works good, and doesnt require activation, so that makes it free.

if you cant find it, you shouldn’t be using the internet.

what do you have? a software and hardware firewall?:kekegay:

I have 2 hardware firewalls like xlogic used to have. :smiley:

I use symantec corporate on just about everything. I have used AVG but didn’t like it. Mcafee is fucking stupid.

I don’t run any antivirus on my work laptop, it is old and slow enough, it doesn’t need any more help from a virus program.

on this machine i don’t have anti-virus. It’s running linux and I don’t do anything risky with it. On my Vista PC i use Macafee, i’ve been using it for years as comcast provided it for free. Anytime i build or rebuild systems for people I throw AVG free edition on unless if they have a comcast ID to get macafee.

I prefer NOD32 when someone wants to pay for it, AVG free is good enough for someone who doesn’t care about the best. It’s better than running nothing. I dislike Mcafee/Norton crap entirely. That stuff sucks. Symantec AV corp edition is alright too.

Another vote for Symantec CE. I also think Mcaffee blows. For all my customers that I don’t want to give Symantec CE to I use avg.

i use eset