Altima Redo

I currently have an 93 Altima GXE, yeah i know but i like the first gen. I was think of how to redo it and i would like some help from the veterans, mainly because the only person i know that knows about nissans either tells me to get a Skyline (do i look like i have money?) or a Pulsar GTiR (uhhh… still no money).

It has a few issues to start with, mainly the one where it has the automatic. I was wondering if it would be extremely hard to put a manual transaxle (maybe built up) in it?

Second issue: i want to get more power out of it, now altima parts havent been easy to find, and i really dont have anything done on it (only ha dit for 2 weeks) and was wondering if i can even do an engine swap (maybe a CA18 or a SR20) or should i just build the “old” (orginal motor only 88000km on it… verified) KA24 up, and any help on how to manage this would be a big help (your personal recomendations would be nice)

Thanks guys in advance

If you’re thinking about hopping up/swapping the engine, I believe there was an SR20DET motor made with a front drive transaxle. The GTI-R motor/trans can be made to work, but you might wanna look into it. I think the motor is called the “bluebird”?

I know that Pulsars and Sentra SE-R’s got SR20DE motors, so if you could get one of those cheaply enough and swap in the turbo system with new internals?

I know of the “bluebird” it was the austrailian version of the maxima right?I thought it was an early SR20, but then again i dont pretend to know much. However i was looking to well, take the path lest travelled, so i wanted to stay away from Turbo. I know could try to find a cheap Pulsar (JDM) engine there was fwd version made, or so my research tells me but i wanted to keep the KA, weird eh? I was exploring the option of doing a swap, more help still needed, thanks for you replies…

have you tried looking at http://www.altimas.net/?
that is the resource for your altima from what I’m told.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Thanks for the site, hopefully will be useful. But the first part for my project has arrived, a nice new set of coilovers (just spring section) i need to find some nice shocks for it, debating between KYB or Tokico.

If you lower an Altima with coilovers that slide on over factory struts you will have no suspension travel left. D2 makes coilovers for the Altima, If you ask me it’s the only proper way to lower an Altima. I had a 94 Altima.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/480000-480999/480845_7_full.jpg
At this height it only had 1" of suspension travel in the front.

Thanks for the information, but i dont plan to even lower it, i need to stiffen the suspension, and i couldnt afford new shocks yet, so i went this way i accually plan to make the whole car look sleeper. So i was going to leave the height alone, i was tired of springs making this thing roll every fast corner i take, so i need shocks and tower struts.

Oh and on the set back side of this, some asshole decided to try to break into my car, and failed. Wow, the jerk scrachted and gouged the whole drivers B- frame panel (the black area that surround the windows) and then in frustration smashed his beer bottle on it. So the driver side looks like shit and the lock isnt working to easily either.

Couple Questions:

1. What exhaust system do you have installed?
  2. Is their an intake manifold for earlier altimas? (sure enough parts for the 2000+ ones eh…)

My exhaust was a Apexi Dunk muffler with 2.5" pipe work. The only company that makes a cat back exhaust for the Altima is GReedy and they may have stopped production. For the intake manifold I don’t think anyone makes an aftermarket one. Why do you want one?

I was planning to redo the old KA24DE and keep it but with news of not a lot of the parts available anymore, and i really didnt want to add a turbo to it. Maybe that swap to a nice SR20DE would be better, more parts avaiable anyone know where i can get a SR20DE with transaxle and ECU in Edmonton?

For the SR swap you can’t use the same transaxel that you would in a Sentra. There was a JDM FWD SR for the Altima platform but they are kinda rare. For the cost you could turbo the KA and make way more power. here is some turbo info.
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6263

Dont even think of building a KA without a turbo, its an absolute waste of time and money. If you want a little more pep throw and exhaust and inake on it and call it a day.

About how much power can i expect from a turbo, and will i have to fight with the turbo lag. Or are all these questions dependant on what system is installed?

the link I posted will answer all your questions.

It did answer many of mine, however they were talking about a KA24 for a 240sx, similar to what i have but not exactly the same… i guess i’ll have to do the stupid things and ask them about mine, thanks for your help and support guys.

Put a T25 on a KA and you pretty much wont have any lag. Its spools quick on an SR and just imagine with another 20% more displacment.

And since i havent kept you guys informed on my project, sorry but nothing much was happening.

Tomorrow, She’ll be getting a nice pair of coilovers on her. I finally could get NAIT to let me hook on my stuff, hopefully so i can accually go to Meet on Sunday.

The plan past this: Turbo (looked at kits, talked to someguys, and looked at getting custom kit) more suspension, and maybe some SE Altima 5 Spoke rims to finish that “look-i’m-stock” feel