Aluminum vs. copper rads

whats so bad about aluminum?

aluminum sucks, it looks really good and cools extremely well, who would want that?

Hahaha ya why copper??

its cheaper, and it apparently cools better, i have seen a couple cars with aluminum rads and they still have overheating problems…

they just have bad fans^^^

Paint the fins black and it helps.

Copper transfers heat better than aluminum. Copper rads are more efficient.

Best bet is to run a Koyo and make the stock shroud/clutch fan work. Who gives a shit about parasitic loss…it doesn’t amount to enough for my ass dyno to notice a difference… :lol:

yes someone here who doesnt think pretier is better hahaha

yes someone here who doesnt think pretier is better hahaha[/quote]

True

But the copper is about twice as heavy. Weight off the very front end of the car, thats very important kent

Cools really well eh? :roll: … Its holds more coolant…thats about it.

Haha, i bought a koyo aluminum though, cause it was cheap…but id rather have a copper.

yes someone here who doesnt think pretier is better hahaha[/quote]

True

But the copper is about twice as heavy. Weight off the very front end of the car, thats very important kent[/quote]

Sure it is… :roll: :roll:

so aluminum doesnt get any points for looking good? aluminum still has good heat desperion qualitys!

I’ve heard that Copper cools better, but apparently because Aluminum is easier to work with they can make the fins thinner so it cools just as well as the Copper. What about that one test where those guys tested overheating characteristics on SRs with various radiators (stock, aluminum, copper and such) and fan combinations and it showed that the copper did indeed cool better?

Kindof off topic, if you really want to get some good heat conducting, get a silver rad. Wouldn’t cost too much.

Copper is almost twice as thermally conductive as aluminum both being in pure forms. The thing is, aluminum is usually mixed as an alloy with other metals that arent as thermally efficient as even aluminum is. That means that roughly, if you took 2 rads, everything else being equal, the copper one will transfer twice the heat an aluminum one does.

Copper is over twice as heavy as pure aluminum though. If you wanted an aluminum rad to be as effective as a copper one it would have to have twice the surface area, and consequently would end up having more coolant in it (heavier).

Aluminum is also cheaper.

That being said, given the chance I’d like to have a copper, but my aluminum was too cheap to pass up.

It seems to just come down to necessity. Good fans and proper direction of airflow to the rad, and aluminum seems to do the trick.

At least we arent the only ones whom argue about this. :lol: