Alvin auto.

Anyone know about ALvin Automotive? anyone ever been there, had experiences bringing their car there?
tnx

The only experience I’ve ever had with them was minimal. I went in to ask the guy about wiring and a radiator/fan for the SR. He was helpful with radiator but we started talking about the wiring and motor and stuff I was asking about prices and he kept saying they charge hourly labour. He wouldn’t tell me an approximate dollar figure. It makes me a little worried when a shop isn’t up front about the cost on things. Just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I guess in all fairness it might have been the mood I was in that day too. And he did bring me back in to the shop and showed me some stuff so that was good. There was a Skyline in there and 240 with an SR. Every time I drive by there’s always some kind of cool Nissan out front so I would guess they probably know what they’re doing. If I were you I would go and talk to them first and see how they come across to you. If you do let me know how it goes. Sorry, I guess this was a long answer for not a lot of info :roll:

I’ve been helped by both Al and Mike, both are very up front and easy to deal with. Al’s S13 is very well put together. I recommend them.

talk to mikey…

Is this shop in edmonton or calgary?

And just to note, alot of shops won’t give you an estimate of how long the job will take because there are too many people that will take it like a quote and come back later and complain when the job takes longer cause there car is rusted up! I don’t like it either, I wish they would at least give a worst case / best case senario to give me an idea! Anyway, just so you know they aren’t all trying to screw ya if they won’t give you a time estimate!

lol, u are in the “Calgary” section u know… lol

Well, now…aren’t I the smart one!!!

thnx guys, just wondering for a diagnostic on why my SR wont start, some sort of wiring prob/ecu deal, i’m almost ready to send er to a shop to get it figured out, checked everything except the computer…

also, if anyone would be able to lend me an sr ecu to c if that is the problem, just to c if my car starts, would be much appreciated, a collateral may be set up if wanted, you can stand and watch while i plug it in, just trying go down the list of troubleshooting, c if its just my computer thats causing me this no start problem.

half hour of your time, thats all.

Thnx!

any spark or fuel?

sparks on 1 cylinder , and i’m getting fuel, but one cylinder sparks then it gets flooded, changed plugs, checked grounds, used the whole multimeter deal as well, almost dead end, thinking coils might be burnt out, but 3/4 burnt coils sounds like too much.

yeah, that would be alittle odd if it were the coils.

I would agree with checking the ECU. I would help you but I am 8hours away.
Come on guys, help him out!!

So obviously it turns over. Does it cough and sputter like it wants to start but doesn’t quite catch? Or is there nothing at all. Not even trying to start?

it’s as if theres only 1 cylinder in the engine and it sputters a little and then floods itself, i’m lookin into the ecu thing still.

When I was looking around for engine swaps I went over to his shop. This was back about November of 2004. I told him I wanted to do Rb20 and we got talking about it, all the parts he said he put in. He said he replaces bad parts at free charge and part of his engine swap deals is he puts in a HKS type-r intercooler! WOW! Now here’s the kicker. He wanted to do it a front clip not a motorset, charge me at around 10500 just for stock stuff(except for the intercooler) and he said it would take most of the winter. I talked to the guys at autodream, and it was half the price(motorset mind yo u) and it would be done in two weeks. Alvin seemed to know what he was talking about but didn’t really seem like you’d be a priority. Nyugen and Andy have done a lot of swaps, its hard to beat experience.

I had a similar expereince with Alvin auto. I wanted them to wire my Sr into my 200SX and he talked the shop up alot told me they could do it and everything. So i was basically at the point where we were just looking at price and time. They had no definate time line… and the price was up in the air depending on how long it took them. They didnt have even a rough idea.

I got Nguyen to do it over a weekend for a flat fee and its been perfect.

Im pretty sure Alvin is getting out of the Nissan scene that he was once trying to enter. His shop was awesome and fair priced when he did the work, its gone down hill for sure.