Am i getting screwed by the dealer?

[quote=“MikeRi24,post:60,topic:39904"”]

ok so i went into work this morning, and my boss was kind enough to suggest switching the rims and tires off of his 03 Explorer onto mine. we did, and guess what? still does the same thing, even without the 4x4 fuse in.

[/quote]

ok but the damage have done the transfer case is broke so why would going back to stock tires change that?

[quote=“nitroinsane,post:61,topic:39904"”]

ok but the damage have done the transfer case is broke so why would going back to stock tires change that?

[/quote]

it does it without the 4x4 fuse in leading me to believe its something else. and they told me as there wasnt really any damage done to it, and it would be fine with the tires as long as i kept that fuse out. they also assured me that if i put stock tires back on it, the problem would 100% disappear. I even have on the workorder where they wrote “problem will be completely remedied by replacement with OEM sized tires.” so what else is it?

So take it back with the OEM rims and tires on it and say that it is obviously not the problem :picard:

It sounds like you can re-create the problem on demand. How do you do it? Is it heavy throttle in lower rpms? Do higher gears/speeds tend to be more prone to the problem?

call donny nowak like i said he is the manager of west herr ford in hamburg

What transfer case does it have? I checked some application data and it shows a 4410 viscous for 2002 Sport-Trac only. The Borg Warner 4403 electric active is only listed until 01. I take it you have the awd version where there is no dash control for the tcase?

You say you have the same problem with the fuse out? You may still be in 4wd. It may not necessarily default to 2wd if their is a fault. If you just pulled the fuse and there was some pressure on the clutch plates it is now stuck in that position with no power to the actuator to back it off. I would try to unhook the encoder and see what that does. More importantly put the vehicle in the air and turn the front and rear props and see if they turn together? If so you are in 4wd. If they turn opposite then you have a center diff - I don’t think explorers have one. If they turn independently then you are in 2wd.

I’m not sure the transfer case is the problem. It should allow a 10% rpm difference I would say. Your tires don’t have enough difference to make that much. If you are getting torque to the front when you don’t need it then you should be getting some crow hop as well. Crow hop is jerking and hopping of the front wheels when doing a tight turn on dry pavement.

I’m a transfer case engineer, but I don’t know much about Borg Warner units. When you are accelerating up a ramp as you say, the controller may be putting some torque to the front wheels to help prevent wheelslip at the rear. However since you are going in a straight line unless there is a major difference in tire diameter it shouldn’t be a problem.

I think you need to jack it up so you can see if it is really in 2wd. Put the 4wd fuse back in, turn the key on and turn it off again without moving the vehicle. If those tcases work like ours then it should be in 2wd as a default. You can then unplug the encoder and it should stay in 2wd. You’ll prob have a check engine light as well. Now try to drive it. If it still does the same thing then you know it isn’t the transfer case.

As previously suggested, I think your lockup TC could be to blame.

You make some horrible decisions. A 2002 Explorer with 70K and I bet you paid a lot for it.

Did you contact the President of West Herr? When I worked there, I saw him really take care of people who were whiners. I watched them put this girl in two different focus’, and put snow tires on one because the people complained they were bad in snowy conditions. I bet you will get a different truck if you complain enough.

Take it in to the Dealer…with ur buddy’s stock tires/wheels. Shop = pwnt!

Bring it to my house, let me drive it. As in other post, maybe the TCC? I’ve seen a lot of them do exactly what you are describing.

[quote=“HYBOOST,post:69,topic:39904"”]

Bring it to my house, let me drive it. As in other post, maybe the TCC? I’ve seen a lot of them do exactly what you are describing.

[/quote]

PM me with your info.