need help, i think im getting screwed around by the dealer....

I bought an 02 Dakota on the 9th of march. I took it home that day. I also paid for the extended warranty. The truck was driving great, no problems what so ever, until thursday morning. i was trailoring speedped79’s fathers car to the convention center. again the truck was doing great. after he pulled the car off the tandem axle trailor, (i know some of you guys are going to say the car was too heavy for the truck, but 75% of the weight was on the trailor) we chatted an i left for home. on the 90 i was merging, and i tried to accelerate, nothing, the truck would not go over 50 mph, even with the pedal to the floor, i checked the trailor breaks, they were not broken. so i get home, unhook the trailor, and drive to the dealership. i get back on the 90, have overdrive on, and try to merge, overdrive kicks in, but my truck does not accelerate. it actually slows down.

i get to the dealer, tell them everything, they " look at it" for 2 and a half hours. then they tell me the computer needs to be updated??? anyone ever hear of this? any info? am i getting screwed with?

You are getting screwed.

thought so, any suggestions as to getting this taken care of? should i have it checked out somewhere else?

You are getting screwed if they refuse to fix it but you stated you have the warranty. Are they going to “update” your computer ?

No, you have a warranty through them right? They have to fix it. I just think they are going to clear the check engine light and give you the truck back to see if the code comes back. They will do the least possible to get you through the warranty phase.

Since when is overdrive an “acceleration” gear? Usually autos shift out of overdrive to accelerate.

:word:

i think what u felt was the truck downshifting.

So you fucked the transmission, congratulations.

Get them to put a new one in.

review your warranty paperwork, if it doesnt exclude the computer OR specific computer repairs, they should cover it

and the fact that the trucked kicked into overdrive, adn then wouldnt kick out when he tried to accelerate shows this is a problem. the vehical is an automatic, it should kick out of overdrive automaticly once you give it enough gas

Think his transmission was slipping? Hence the slowing down despite giving her more gas?

word. so many people think overdrive is when the car speeds up, but it’s really just downshifting.

used car dealer is responsible for for the first 30 days before ur extended warranty kicks in. keep bringing it back they dont get it fixed u get your money back

and make sure your reciept states the customer complaint and the attempted repair. so if the problem is not fixed right you have all of th epaperwork to file a proper complaint.

100% incorrect, OD is an upshift. The only time you feel a downshift in an auto is when you depress the throttle enough to hit the kickdown, whether it be electronic or mechanical, and that is what tells the transmission to downshift.

overdrive isnt an upshift or a downshift, its the top gear (or rarely, two) in a transmission, manual or automatic, that has a higher ratio than 1:1.

Just go to another Dodge dealer and let them know of your problem. You have a extended warranty so who cares. If they give ya a run around go to another dealer. I think there are like 3 Dodge dealers in this area. One of those dealers are going to want the warranty money.

thats exactly what he and I said

this guy is saying that he is depressing the pedal(to accelerate) and that he cant get the car to go any faster. what i assume this to mean, is that he puts the pedal down, feels the car downshift, motor revs up higher(due to downshift and gas pedal going down), yet the car doesnt accelerate.

In most cases, lets say for example merging on the highway, you will be in 3rd gear, maybe 4th on the on ramp. then when u reach 70 mph and ur on the road, u let off the accelerator a bit, u kick into overdrive and ur rpms drop. then u go to change lanes cause the asshole in front of u is too slow. depress the pedal, car kicks out of overdrive and into a lower gear, u start accelerating quickly. now were back to the begining and the process is repeated as u drive.

So i am assuming that what he is having trouble with is downshifting and accelerating.

Let me guess… you were towing with the OD on right? It was probably hunting constantly between gears, with the poor little torque convertor never getting a chance to lock up. Any time the TC isn’t locked it’s generating heat. You probably cooked it.

Hopefully you didn’t mention anything about towing more than the truck was rated for to the dealer (assuming the car+trailer did put you over your GVWR).

Once it’s fixed, next time you tow, lock out the OD. Your transmission will thank you for it.

no od was off, im not that dumb. and no it wasnt over the rating, it was a tandem axle trailor, perfectly in the towing range.

what they think is overdrive is the car downshifting was what i was trying to say. you are, actually, 100% incorrect. OD isn’t an upshift at all. it’s no shift. it’s basically just slipping the tranny.