Angola. - an account of a motorcycle trek across Angola

NA is only boring to you because you live here.

The grass is ALWAYS greener on the otherside.

NA is boring, because it’s been established for such a short amount of time relative to other places.

Take into account that we virtually have nothing of historical importance in WORLD history.

Pyramids, Vatican etc. etc.

I understand that people living in these shit hole African towns think that we have awesome lives. We do. I just don’t think that people appreciate the smaller things in life that they will never experience. Like abandoned ship wrecks.

that ship wreck you posted is likely less than 50 years old. It’s not like you posted a pic of a 15th century wreck.

There is tons of history here in the US. It is also far more relevant than the stuff in other places of the world.

PS - I originally thought this was Angola/Eden motorcycle trek.

PSS - Miss Angola is fucking banging.

You’re missing my point.

You will most likely never experience anything even close to as cool as what these guys just did. You probably couldn’t care less to do so.

Which is my point.

You’re right, I never will, nor will I ever want to.

It doesn’t make the NA boring though.

I find the most interesting things about this country to be our military history and leading the industrial revolution. Everything besides that is meh due to young age

I understand your point. Personally, I disagree, but I imagine it is a very personal opinion. Having had the opportunity to travel a bit, it is great to see what else is out there, but at the same time it’s easy to lose sight of whats in your own backyard. There is a ton of native history, natural history and American history that is largely ignored by those living here.

I just bumped this so people who haven’t yet read this could be presented with the opportunity to do so, no need to argue about random shit.

But anyway, I would’ve totally set up camp in that shipwreck that Beck posted.
It’s probably haunted!!! :ohnoes:

and this is great:

Nardus takes on one of the policemen in an arm wrestling competition. For the first time since I’ve known him he loses. I don’t think the policeman was even aware that Nardus was hanging on his arm, he was just posing for the camera.

We are later shown the gym that produces such unbridled power.

I can’t tell you how many hours/days I have spent on that site reading the member’s trips. That is by far my favorite motorcycle forum :tup:

His Angola story is deff one of my favorites!

Bump… I just re-read this.

I went looking for and found this a few months ago. I still love the part about Jose and the war. Such a great read. His view about cities is spot on too.

This is the only worth while thread I have made.

Bump.

This one looks pretty good too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134368

Awesome read, looking back now those African Villages are beautiful!

Another wonderful read, thx!

No where near as good as the first one. Trip was still cool but this guy doesn’t do the narrative like the first story.

just read it all today… good read.

i would never ever want to do that though. beers and dirt biking through crazy rough terrain in death defying situations does nothing for me. These guys also appear to be attracted to the local women too, they also do nothing for me and i bet the local men get unfriendly really quick if one of them makes a serious attempt.

also, i’m surprised at how out of shape and old some of those guys are that did this trek. You would think that experienced adventurers like this would be more fit

I love these storys and would love to do one. it kinda reminds me of last year driving threw Mexico, I have friends in Africa and may end up atleast visiting there.
Im not in good shape (well round is a shape) but being its not a foot hike I dont think thats as important as you think. and older is that they finally saved up the money lol. spending 6 months exploring mexico while owning a house in buffalo cost me almost 10k and that was doing everything in mexico as cheap as possible. in a diesel car. most expense came from paying for an idle house. and i still dont feel like I spent enough time to really appreciate the culture.