Anodising

Does anybody know of a place in Edmonton that can anodise aluminum? I’m thinking of anodising my intercooler black (sleeper look). Would this have a negative effect on cooling? How much protection would it offer?

Please and thanks.

Anodizing will work as an insulation, i would not reccomend it.

Who know how little or much it insulate’s maybe only a tiny tiny bit but if it does insulate it you will NEVER get the anodizing off an intercooler if you wanted to turn it back to stock.

I believe that chrome anodizing on the old cars from the 40’s-60’s is one of the hardest coating known to man.

I know this for a fact as it took the chromer 12 hours to carefully buff off all of the anodizing of the lincoln zephyr’s trim pieces.

I’ve never heard of anyone anodizing an intercooler, but there is paint that actually increases the efficiancy of an IC. Read about it in SCC I think.

You could always powdercoat it black aswell.

Yes, powder coating is always good

Please do tell about this paint that helps cooling!

Didn’t Jared (1mns13) do something like this? I know he painted his intercooler black, and I seem to remember him talking about using a special paint that was heat efficient.

• Mike

I remember seeing this black paint for radiators, they might have it at canadian tire.

But check with RS13. He did his black, and after a month, the rock chips were horribly bad and obvious. Would need something thicker or stronger.

I did it with radiator paint.

It was free and it held up for a couple months.

If you paint it with anything thicker it decreases the thermal properties the intercooler is designed for.

It takes 5 minutes to do at a radiator shop. And compared to radiators for CAT’s and semi’s most shops will do it for free (or almost free) becasue of the size. I watched whiole mine got painted and it is a simmilar process to powdercoating. tooks all of 5 minutes including drying time

Powdercoating is a thick almost plastic coating. You do not want to powdercoat an intercooler. Anodizin is almost an etching of the surface and is very thin. It would reduce the intercoolers efficiency only slightly.

Well fine then. :finga:

Hmm so far I’m liking this anodising thing. Also apparently there is a zinc based paint that will protect aluminum from corrosion and almost not effect heat dispersion at all.

Anybody know of a place that anodizes aluminum in Edmonton? Also a good place for powder coating (again in Edmonton)?

Powdercoating the piping would be fine but that’s about it