Painting an IC

So I am going to paint my intercooler to make the car stock from the front. What are the pros and cons? Will the paint covering the metal have much effect on the cooling of the air that travels threw the IC? THanks for any info

do it in thin coats to not cause build ups. i imagine you are going black?

Garrett has done testing showing that In small amounts it does not hurt intercooler efficiency. Dont go overboard bro.

Use radiator paint. Light coats. Don’t go for full coverage, just enough to change the color. I’m going to be doing the same.

i painted mine andy.it looks hot as hell but will still stay cool.i didnt mean for that to sound so good.use radiator paint

:rofl:

wtf. :lol:

Wah wah. :clap: :lolham:

Drugs are bad?

if its all aluminum i say anodize (sp) it

wouldn’t anodizing it be the worst possible option due to thickness added?

OMG WTF?
Nothing is added with anodize, it is a surface treatment not a “coating”!
The reason anodizing would not be great is because it will fade(assuming you use dye.)

I always pictured anodizing as a powder coating baked onto the metal with a high durability, am I wrong?

yes you are wrong. you actually corrode the surface. i am sure mike can go in to great detail

i didn’t realize that it would fade. is it the sun, or the other elements what cause it?

yes. what you’re talking about would be powder coating. :fyi:

It can burn with high heat or fade from sunlight because it is organic.
Clear anodize would help with corrosion but I am not sure if it may have adverse affects on the intercooler.

Side note: I would never paint an intercooler because it goes against the whole concept/purpose of an intercooler by insulating it.

Here ya go, the route I plan on taking:
http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10968
I’d trust swain with anything, they know their shit and have been around for years. And what do you know, it’s even black.

Black paint is the best way to go. It wont hurt efficiency

Welds do not anodize well…there will probably be a significant color difference

anodizing>paint x10000

Not true, it dose add material. And it is measurable.