another freaking new guy

just moved up here a little over a month ago for my job in the navy and found this site… looks like a pretty diverse crowd and some nice rides on here from what ive seen so far… i recognize a couple people from seeing them out around town

i currently drive an 01 tahoe with long tubes, full exhaust, a brand new (<2000 miles) crate motor, and a 2800 stall that i just dropped off yesterday to get tuned…

here is a build thread on the engine swap ordeal i just went through… it started out as an lq4 6.0 liter swap but went in another direction unfortunately…

http://www.carolinahorsepower.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9683

quick 10-60 vid: http://youtu.be/UaLWwYzr7bc

c

Is this the one at coppola motorsports ? If so I’m good friends with Anthony and work with him from to time

Welcome! :clap

that’s the one…

i was actually brainstorming today regarding the misfire issue i’m having at the moment… i noticed after i picked the truck up from the engine swap at the dealership that there is some, what sounds like, ignition feedback coming through the radio that wasnt there before when listening to fm stations… i’m wondering if they might have left a grounding strap off when they put this engine in there, causing one of the coils to crap out :dunno if you get a chance to talk to him before i do, could you pass along the info?

I talk to him daily lol ,

found the problem.
also, i’ve heard of this in older cars.
MSD makes something you can wire in to eliminate this
i’ve got a Speedway Motors catalog, i’ll see if i can find what im talking about.

He has the truck in good hands .

based on the issues i had with being sold a bad engine, having military orders to be here by a certain date, and the time crunch that followed, unfortunately i didn’t have much of a choice but to do what i had to do to try and get back on the road asap… since i pulled the original engine, there have been three others in it- the 6.0 that was sold to me with bad bearings, the first 5.3 crate motor that gm put in which spit out the bearings after ~130 miles, and now the current one… i’m guessing the third time was the charm for something getting left off, and i’m betting it was a ground strap… if that’s the case, i know what is causing the radio to click, and most likely, the initial source/cause of the misfire that has developed… i dont need a gadget to fix something that was probably just left off, but thanks

good to hear! i got that feeling as well from the short conversation i had with him when i dropped it off :slight_smile:

Dude you are just throwing around misinformation :banghead

How did u hear of coppola ?

no, buzzing throught the radio is a common problem in cars with distributor type ignitions after an upgrade.

MSD ignitions specifically. they made something (i cant find it of course) to correct this problem. i believe it wires into the coil pickup.

They do have one , its only common on poorly set up or high voltage ignitions . M.s.d sells it cause there shit sucks

google, which lead me to references of him on this and a couple other forums… found out he was super close to my house, and took the truck over… had no clue it was at his house and that he had been on vacation and just got back to his house 10 minutes before i pulled up :facepalm i felt kinda bad for just showing up unannounced at that point but he took a few minutes to chat about the things i need/want done anyway… so far, i’m impressed

have you ever looked under the hood of an NBS or NNBS chevy truck? tell you what, if you can find the distributor on my tahoe, i will give you the title and the keys…

He is honest / good / and stands by his work .

im not stupid
i know damn well that your truck, and almost all, if not all, mass production vehicles today are NOT distributor engines.
i’ve got something i call Internet Tourettes.
i dont think about what i type until after it’s posted

welcome

Welcome to the fun.

This. Anthony is a good guy who Jon referred me to as well. I stop by his house once in awhile just to shoot the shit with him.

Welcome to Shift.
Any other plans for the Tahoe?