Another "got tickets" thread, this is different though

So I got caught by a trooper speeding on rt.5 (elevated part heading into the city) and happened to have cones up, so got me in a work zone. Being the nice guy that he was though, he didn’t issue me a speeding ticket since I’m getting up there in points (:tup: to him for that) and he issued me a seatbelt ticket along with an inspection ticket.

fair enough, I was just glad that he cut me some slack.

Anyway, I got home today to see a letter from NYS Police. In it was a letter (along with 2 photocopied tickets) from the trooper that pulled me over stating

Due to misprinted court address, the tickets you were issued on X/X/XX returnable to the city of Buffalo Court will be dismissed. I have issued additional tickets returnable to the traffic Violations Bureau- 259 main st, buffalo ny room 360. Follow all instructions on the reissued ticket. Thank you for your cooperation.

So my question is… do these really count? Or are they relying on me to be a nice guy and just show up? I always thought that if something like that happened, you were off scott free.

either way, I’d feel like a dick for screwing the cop over after he cut me a break, but at the same time NY got a shit load of money out of me already over the last 2 years and I wouldn’t mind getting a break for once.

any insight? I’d call the court, but have a feeling that some desk jockey wouldn’t have a straight answer.

This ever happen to anyone on here?

Call the prosecutor, DA, or whoever is going to be present and ask. If they ask who you are you don’t have to tell them.

I don’t see how you think you could get out of it.

I could see if they issued a bad ticket…with no new tickets.

He issued you NEW tickets with the proper info.

well, I do agree with you to a point, but at the same time I wasn’t present when he wrote them, nor was I anywhere in the area when they were written… so I don’t know if there is some sort of loop hole in this.

either way, it looks like I’ll be spending 150.00 at most so I’m not too concerned. Just figured it would be nice to get out of it

I think they have up to 12months from the time they saw the violation to write a ticket. Can anyone verify?

let me ask how the hell do u get a ticket going on the skyway?, i never see cops there let alone troopers.

eh, he was off an on ramp waiting for people. First time in a long time I’ve seen one shooting radar on that stretch of road

what is the big deal. Its not like he reissued you speeding tickets in a work zone instead of minor violations. pay them and be done with it.

no big deal… just curious is all. Like I said, it’s not a ton of $$$ or anything but just wondering if it’s happened it anyone else and if they got out of it for whatever reason.

I’ve never got re-issued a ticket before.

I believe as long as they correct the problem before the court date, you have to still plead guilty/ not guilty to the ticket.

If something on the ticket went uncorrected and you made it to court and called the mistake into question, then your ticket can be dismissed.

Best guess, this is right. Not worth talking to a lawyer about it unless you happen to know a lawyer who you could ask for free.

FYI: tickets just don’t disappear.

Take it from me,and my dumb move. my court date fell on that freak snow storm 2 octobers ago…and they cancelled court. Well, I never got a re-schedule in the mail so I just blew it off… Well I did get something in the mail…a nice suspension due to not answering a summons.
It’s $35 dollars…plus the extra fine the judge gives you because you pissed him off.

Another point I would like to bring up, the cop/judge can still get you for the speed if he so pleases. Piss them off by bringing this to trial and they just may do that. I’m sure on the supporting deposition it states that he pulled you over for speeding ** in ** zone but only issued you the inspection and seat belt tickets. You’ve been warned.

i didnt think they could dot hat, I thought when they screwed up a ticket it became null