Another one bites the dust: Ford axes GT

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060203/AUTO01/602030367/1148

Say g’night GT :hang:

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20060203&Category=AUTO01&ArtNo=602030367&Ref=V2&Profile=1148Q=100&MaxW=250

:wave:

aww shucks.

2 years of production was all they planned from the start. Unless they got a lot of demand, but it doesn’t look like it :gotme:

The LS … fine… it never sold well anyway. High performace sport utility?.. who cares.

But axing the GT is stupid.

“Ford sold 1,302 GTs in 2005.
Ford said the upcoming Shelby GT500, an ultra-high-performance version of the Mustang, will fill the void left by the GT.”

Lol. I cant believe they even said that. The Shelby 500 is a pile of crap compared to the GT. Not in the same league. No customer on the level of buying a $150,000 Ford GT will but a $40,000 rebadged pile of shit that is based on a $20,000 car.

The LS was actually pretty nice.

Ford does something right for once then fucks it up.

I dunno, there is a 6-8month waiting list for that car. :confused:

Ford is trying to do battle with dodge.

It was a limited production vehicle… they dont want to cheapen it by running off tens of thousands of them.

And I applaud that decision…

“We had always intended to do just two model years of the GT,” Cain said.
The $150,000 sports car was inspired by the legendary Ford GT-40 race cars that swept Le Mans in 1966. Full-scale production began in 2004 and it appeared in showrooms as a 2005 and 2006 model.

“It was our plan all along to wind up production on the 40th anniversary of the 1-2-3 victory at Le Mans,” Cain said. “It’s not being canceled. It’s just run its race.”

kind of what i was thinking.

I dont’ see why they would want to stop production on the GT. it was really making a name for itself and the ford family. people really loved that car. Why not just keep it around to be the available super car from ford to compete with the viper/corvette(even tho it kills both these cars) and still make the shelby.

oh well.

bye bye GT :wave:

No, more correctly it’s No customer would buy a $150,000 Ford GT when they could get better performance out of a $40,000 mustang.

They made 1300 per year. I think that hardly qualifies as 10’s of thousands or anywhere close. The car as a whole and in name and reputation is just getting on its feet. A 2 year production run is lame. Thats something I would expect of a FAILURE and not a excellent example of automotive engineering, design and execution. Ferrari builds more cars per year then that. I think a 4 year run would be reasonable.

On another note, the ls was nice but I think I like the zephyr a little more. The ls couldve been sweet but they made it way too boring looking. The zephyr actually gets my attention when I see it, the ls was more of a “hmm, an ls. Those are pretty nice kinda sorta a little bit maybe”.

but your not the company, now are you?

“about 40 people make the Ford GT”-that lady

Like Ford much?

In my opinion…the Ford Gt, was overpriced, and I don’t really think of it, as a prime example of automotive engineering and design.

But thats just me.

Riight… thats why all the GTs are sold and there is a line out the door.
Im sitting here laughing at you right now. You dont even understand the basics. A customer that can afford a $150,000 toy car will have more class then to by a 40k crap car regardless of the performance. You wont see one of these guys build a 800hp Cavalier for 30 grand when they can buy a 400hp Ferrari 360 for $150,000.

lol dumbass

Well if that was the case, then I guess I can see why, but it still doesn’t make much sense. I didn’t know it was supposed to be a limited run. I thought they were going to have a “supercar” for the stable, kinda like what Dodge did with the Viper and GM did with the Z06.