Another one of those Buffalo on the move threads...

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=47021

Unfortunately still in the wrong direction…when will these people just let progress and change take place…ugh.

Too many people complain in this area…too many people with nothing else to do setting our future back.

I hope this guy gets told to be quiet and go away.

I understand the historical concerns, but I also doubt that small shops and museums alone will be enough draw to get people down to that area.

for fucks sake.

People think the city can pull itself up by its own bootstraps.

It cant

Yeah Tim “asshat” Tielman is against the micro parks as well: http://buffalorising.com/story/waterfront_micro_parks#sca

The weather isn’t nice enough in this area to really attract huge crowds to the waterfront but if Benderson and the state want to try…i’m all for it. Buffalo needs cleaning up!

The overall plan includes: museums, a marketplace, a marina, housing and a hotel, plus four parking decks. A 300-space deck would be next to the Bass Pro store, two 500-space decks would be built in the Donovan and Webster blocks, plus a 1,000 space deck would be built on the site of the mothballed Memorial Auditorium across the street.

The $275 million project is expected to be split between public funds and Benderson Development. The ECHDC would pay for site preparation and construction of the three-level Bass Pro building with $25 million of $35 million from state, city, and county taxpayers’ money. The Aud would be demolished using the remaining $10 million. Bass Pro would pay fees of $300,000 a year, and spend an estimated $15 million to finish the store.

So we’re spending $35 million of public money to build Bass Pro and tear down the Aud. Bass Pro’s kicking in $15 million. Where’s the other $225 million coming from to do the rest of the project?

^ a ton of money was secured by Higgins. A ton more is coming from the settlement with the power authority.

As for the lawsuit, it’s time to start running these people out of town by ANY means necessary.

uh benderson or bass pro:gotme:

I just hope it’s already in a contract somewhere. Otherwise I can see Bass Pro going up and then everyone pointing fingers at who’s supposed to pay for the rest of the project and it never happening.

It sounds like a cool idea though.

Here is Tim Tielmans phone #

Tim Tielman (716) 884-3138 65 Ketchum Pl, Buffalo, NY 14213

I sugguest people call him and tell him how you feel about ubstructing Buffalo development

I just can’t believe someone hasn’t beaten him to death in his sleep.

• Please note, I’m not saying “go beat him to death in his sleep”. I’m just saying I’m surprised no one has yet.

:lol:

I am just sick and tired of these “nobody’s” having an impact on the future of the City…if Gov’t., developers, and businesses want this then who the hell is a private citizen to stand up and say…lets keep another shitty, outdated, out of use building standing for no apparent reason.

Get on board with the growth change or go live out in the woods.

I’m all for private citizens making a difference, but this guy needs to understand that he doesn’t get to decide for the city that historical preservation takes priority over economic development.

The preservationists need to learn how to become realists, although I doubt there is going to be much success in this lawsuit, there is already too much vested political support behind this one.

I dont know what everybody is talking about…I love to drive through the city and see all the abandoned buildings by the waterfront. Why would we ever want thriving businesses and drive people to this area? LOL…on a serious note. Same shit happening in Niagara Falls. Whenever a new idea is proposed it is shut down with all the negative things that may develop. Well, have we considered the good that can develop as well? Some people have a real problems adapting to change. They bitch about the economy here and that nothing worth while develops here locally.We need to get the old fuggin politicians out of office and get some new blood. The waterfront has huge potential, just need the funds, and right people backing it.

i deal with stupid people like that all the time that are pissed off because we’re developing a lot next to their home or developing a field where their children play. We just let them know that if they want they’re more than welcome to put in a bid to buy the land from us and keep it how it is, but until then we’re moving forward with development.

To play devils advocate here, just because something is development doesn’t mean that its good development. Look at our atrocious convention center, completely ruined the street/urban planning of the city, and is an eyesore. Look at the ‘subway’ and the deserted Main St. it caused. Skyway, 190 by the river, both cut off the city from prime waterfront. Restraint should always be exercised when taking on large projects that will effect a neighborhood or entire metropolitan area for decades to come.

I’m not saying Bass Pro is going to ruin the canal site or downtown for that matter, but it seems everyone who is bitching about people who push back on development plans have forgotten all of the misguided development that has helped to cause Buffalo’s less than optimal situation today. Bass Pro will bring a lot of people down there, but it will bring people to an area the way a Target brings people to Orchard Park. Drive in, park, walk into store, drive out. 98% of people who go to Bass Pro won’t step foot in any other stores, museums, restaurants, or other areas of downtown.

While I agree with your statement whole heartedly…I can say that if I was around when those decisions were being made I would have called them dumb as well.

Matter of fact when I was on the 190 today I said what a dumb friggin spot for this and I wondered why they put up those horrible projects right there when they could have extended the city and had the 190 go through downtown instead of around it.

I atleast like the artist rendering of the bass pro/harbor development. Maybe in 50 years it will be looked at as a dumb move but for the moment

My basic philosophy is New > Old in the city.

:bump:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/investigative/youpaidforthis/youpaidforthis.aspx

lol, best post today