another rumor regarding RHD imported cars?

what do you guys think about this? another rumor or not…

copy and paste from beyond

to all the owners or person wanting to buy a skyline or any jdm cars in bc , I have heard that there is a new bulliton out about cars imported from japan does not meet canadain safty . most of the cars that has pass the safty , should of not have. Because the headlight , windshilds, window ect… does not meet canadian laws. and you would have to change all those parts to pass. But one thing this cars were not made for north america so there would be no parts avialble here for those cars. who ever the inspector was that pass this cars are not doing the proper checks.If you alreadly own one of those cars, you should check out about the goverment inspection report on that car and make sure it was properly check . because if you ever get pull over buy a police and get a inspection ticket , that may be the last time you can drive your car.or go back to were you bought the car and make sure it was properly check.
I was planning to buy a skyline but after i found out about this ,I think I.am not going to buy one for now. I hop this information will be good for those wnating to buy a skyline.
check this bulletin http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse
anyone have anymore information please let me know

Considering that is the BC government, and about 98% of us are in Alberta… that doesn’t mean a whole lot to us.

They try and take my car away… I’ll move to the states, insured up here under “1990 CRX”. :E

but it came stock :cry :sad :phooey

Look at old mussle cars. Same thing. I talk with brokers and DOT all the time and its just a stupid roumor of some dumb 16 year old kid raising up a storm for nothing. I wont worrie about anything. Canada has the 15 year rule for this purpose. To bring these cars in as classic cars in a point of view and no classic car anywhere would pass any DOT inspection. Period!

Exactly what i was thinking.
We dont have to modify our bumpers to meet crash ratings like a non 15 yr old car from the usa would.

Considering the guy can’t even spell ‘bulletin’, his creditability is pretty low

After reading what the bulletin thats posted on that site all they are talking about is stuff that would fail even on a domestic car ie. missing cats, improper headlight aiming (hence the RHD because they are aimed a little to the left and domestics are a little to the right), shaved third brake lights, aftermarket bumpers that don’t have DTRL, missing neutral safety switches (which I have removed from any standard that I have ever owned anyways). The only thing on there that would apply to RHD cars only, or any import for that matter is the glass doesn’t meet specific standards. But oh well we live in good ol’ Alberta anyways.

yeah the glass fixtures and stuff

but with 180sx it can all be changed out to 240sx stuff …bumpers and supports and headlights and windshield :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m pretty sure that everything the kid stated are the reasons that the cars have to be 15 years or older to be brought over…

B-Wurm :smiley:

I’m pretty sure that everything the kid stated are the reasons that the cars have to be 15 years or older to be brought over…

B-Wurm

Yep, that what the registry said about my car when I brought it over. It cant come into Canada b4 15 years beacue thats when the safety standards aren’t outdated yet. After 15 years, its considered a “classic” per say, and the safety laws no longer apply(within reason, still needs to meet road legality and general safety - hence OOP). The only one that truly matters is the passive restraint systems for seatbelts, which they check when it comes into port. And I think those are only in the US.

the guys on gtrcanada seem to be having a fit about it. people’s cars are getting held up or not being able to safety it.

when i imported my car, i specifically told them it’s 15 years old and was imported as a ‘classic’. they would have otherwise failed it for HL and lack of reflectors i think.

Technicaly all Silvias would fail. Thats why we never got them here, something to do with the height of the headlights. Thats why the 15 year rule is in place it gets around all this stuff and makes cars “classics”

yea, that’s exactly what i’m saying. the 15 year rule is in place for a reason.

makes me wonder about all the people who ebayed or bought silvia conversions for their 240s. they’d have to switch back too. i don’t mind making my car a onevia though. :slight_smile:

Have the link to the thread on GTRcanada? I’ve heard few different cases of this happening already. Interested to find more infomation.

here it is. sounds kind of serious

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/viewtopic.php?t=5853&sid=8dcc909acf5c517ecb96b4fa7e87b567

Yeah but really only to people in BC. Thats why everyone wants to live in Alberta… Its just that much better.

Yeah but really only to people in BC. Thats why everyone wants to live in Alberta… Its just that much better.[/quote]

Read the whole GTRC thread. SCI motors is a responsible import company and shop who sounds like they do pretty good homework. They expect that although this is hitting BC first, the rest of Canada will need to comply soon.

I’m planning to stay on top of what needs to be done to comply and make sure I do it before someone makes me.

Dan