Any electrician's here?

Im taking the apprentiship program and was wondering if anyone here has taken it and what does it usually involve. Career change for me :slight_smile:

Sweet. You’re going to make a living working with something that’s invisible and can kill you. :bloated:

Cool. Skilled trades like that are getting harder to come buy. Should be a good move, not that I know what you do now.

yeah im going for the telecommunications one, figured i wouldent have to work in the cold that way :slight_smile:

I do IT stuff now, and the pay here sucks in buffalo.

Are you going through BCSI for the certification or actually doing a apprentice thing with someone where you work in the field?

union apprentiship.

Thats if i get in, lol

gotta pass math and reading test and shit like that.

[quote=“BuickGN,post:5,topic:29714"”]

union apprentiship.

[/quote]

OH GOD. Let the union flaming begin. For your sake I hope you’re not UAW. It’s like plague or aids on this board.

lol like i care, when im making 30 an hour.

no its not UAW its IBEW

Telcom doesnt make 30/hr, only inside guys make that much.

Good luck getting in the program, I’ve taken the test, interviewed, and have been sitting in the waiting pool for ages.

i was in the IBEW apprenticeship thing for a year during college. can be hard work but i always found it rewarding. most of the guys were pretty cool too.

i think telcom guys make a bit less than normal electricians.

well i got 3 apps, outside, inside and tele, so ill fill them all out and hope for the best :slight_smile:

and yes i realise about the pool, 2 year max. How did u do on the test and stuff?.

I filled out all 3 apps also.

I tested in dec, I didnt think it was too bad, it definately weeds out stupid people from the application process. Theres practice questions online. Half is math, half is reading, both are timed. If you pass the test, you’ll get a letter in the mail, and you get interviewed by 5 people at once.

I do fire alarm work now, some security, some access control, and I still havnt been able to get in. I’ll keep trying though, you cant beat the benifits.

yeah, i gotta polish up my math, since i graduated in 88…lol

its algebra mostly right?, from what ive read thats all it is, alond with some reading comprehension.

Seems to me that it pays to know someone in one of these unions, im also applying to boilermakers, i have 6 relatives in there that are very high up, but im not sure if i wanna weld.

I’ll PM you the link to the website so you can see the practice questions. Yes the math is algebra and some logic stuff. Its not very hard, but its the type of problems that you did in 9th grade math class and never did again in your life. I’ve been out of highschool for a long time also, 97, and I needed to refresh my head on that stuff, but its not difficult by any means.

It takes a special breed to be a boilmaker. I’ve done work at the NRG power plant in dunkirk and have seen first hand some of the vessels those guys had to work in…I wouldnt do it for 100/hr… I’ll stick to pulling wire lol.

Thanks for the link.