Any Excel experts here? (re: Pivot tables )

I’m not on the accounting side, i’m in operations and am building the performance reporting model and databases. Yup i’m using excel and soon to be access because these are the programs that Audatex (ADP) and Mitchell use. Audatex just IPO’s for several hundred millions of dollars btw.

No one in North America has done anything like this so there is no software solution for it.

The software i was making light of is an ERP system where basically the people at corporate can record, log, plan, contact and upload information, files etc. as they pertain to specific franchises, insurance partners etc.

It really does cost that much and the company we bought it from sells this kind of software to thousands of companies all over North America. It’s calles Salesforce. Look it up. I was loking through the thing and all you really do is create accounts, give them ranks (vendor, customer etc.) put in all the contact information then create fields (or threads?) where you can log and record interactions.

It’s incredibly simple and i think i may have actually understated the costs involved.

More over, some of the companies we deal with have a very basic software model that nets hundreds of millions in revenue each year.

It has nothing to do with sophisication, it has to do with economies of scale. Once alot of people are using your software it only makes sense for more people to use it. So they do.

I swear if i were a software developer… i dont even know what i’d do. I can’t believe their are people in software development that cant make 6 figures a year when i see how much companies are charging for their software applications that are literally very basic, but flexible, templates that they are just putting new backgrounds into and charging huge licensing fees for.

Basically, if VB or phpBB we not so easy to get and if you were selling it to a large international coporation for their employees to discuss specific issues while abroad, assign permissions, have an executive section (like our admin section) etc. etc. If you did this you could easily sell the exact software we are on right now for hundreds of thousands of dollars up front with all kinds of constant cash-flow additives in the package as well.

It’s baffling.

Also, University doesnt teach you shit. I’ve worked with MBA’s who are still fools, kids with degrees that cant decent work… in fact, im my CMA program there is a woman with a MBA, doing her CMA, and therefore must have a degree in something, she is also fluent in English, Cantonese, Hindu and Punjab and cannot find work anywhere for 8 months now after literally 50 interviews. She basically says she will work for anything… like fucking $40k… still nothing… WTF?

the world makes no sense, ever.