Any hunters on the board?

With big game opening up in a little over a week, I’m starting to get pumped about opening day. Wondering how many hunters we got on the board? Where do you hunt and what’s your weapon of choice?

I hunt Venango county 2F, was out last week making sure the rifle was still on sight, a Remington Model 700 7mm.

i do, and i cant wait. hopefully i can make first day

i go up to a place outside of ligonier. always nice up there. i have quite a few rifles/shotgun combinations i may use. i used to use a 6mm remington 700. moved on up to my 12 gauge slug gun, and last year i went back to a rifle with a .35 whelen remington 700…good gun but didnt fire once in the cold when i was on a nice big 11 pt. so that makes me apprehensive. i also have a 6.5mmx55 swedish mauser i might give a try at it. also have my dads 30.06…but i’m not a huge fan of that caliber…too popular.

i’ll have to decide soon when i go sight them in. the 12 gauge is my fav tho

Venago as well, not sure exactly, I haven’t been out in 4 years but i shoot a 243 Remington, used to shoot a 35 Rem., and my 1st Riffle was a 32 winchester Special, that gun was nice. But I like the 243 for the Area I hunt, it consists mostly of shrubs and brush, so long shots are out of the question.

Planning on going out this year, just don’t like the idea of 3 million crazy Gun wealding hunters shooting all around me

I only mess around with varmints, don’t do any real hunting

westmoreland county .270 with 6x20x50 scope for long long range shooting. sniper style.

I am hoping to make it back to hunt opening day in Armstrong county.

Out of state license fees FTL

My weapon of choice for deer is the .264 win mag but this year I might be giving it a shot with a .270 winchester as I bought it a few years ago and have yet to bag a deer with it yet. I loaned it to a friend a few years back and he got one with it so I know it works but I haven’t gotten one yet so I may give it a try.

I use to hunt alot but over the last 3 years I have only gone out opening day of rifle, this year I won’t be going as I’m to busy. When I did hunt alot my weapon of choice was a bow, did very little rifle hunting. Here are a couple of my bow kills from the last few years that I did archery hunt, these were taken in Butler Co…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/arjohnson/DSCF0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/arjohnson/DSCF0004.jpg

I hunt…but i dont know if im goin this year cause i have no money for liscense or ammo…and my choice is a 30 30 but next year im gettin a winchester 270 bolt action…and i hunt up around widnoon

washington county

remington 700 SS .300 Rem Ultra Mag
sniper style!

Washington county, .243 Win with 3-9 Leupold VX2 and 80 grain’rs. Drops’em dead as a doornail and the thing is really nice and flat out to about 300 (in case I need to shoot that far, which in PA is like never).

should go out to wisconsin hunt some bigfoot, http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10286534/detail.html

heard it on the morning freak show today haha

, .243 Win with 3-9 Leupold VX2 and 80 grain’rs.

wow 80 grain .243. dont you think that is kinda light? i use 100 grains on my 6mm remington and it does a fine job…but i also use premium nosler partition bullets. i wouldnt trust any other bullet…they just would frag on impact. Lightest i’d go would be 90-95g. what 80 grain load you using?

Homemade, super hard alloy.

Silver bullets FTW, lol

Nice racks you have there 01Cobra, I’d never see anything like that where I hunt haha.

As far as bullets go… I use 175gr. in the 7mm and my dad uses a Marlin Model 1895 .45-70 Gov’t with 305gr load. He has custom reloads that are up to 505gr. as well, which I think is ridiculous because all he hunts is whitetail.

Your not goin for shoulder hits with that load…you pussy the guns starting to hurt your shoulders? :kekegay:

its more fun when you can still break both shoulders at 500 yards!

as far as bullets go, i used nosler partition 100 grains in my 6mm
140 grain remingtom core-locks in the 6.5x55mm
200 grain rem core-locks in the .35 whelen

used to use 1 1/4 ounce (546grain) at 1520fps, federal classic rifle slugs in the 12 gauge. those things kicked soo damn hard, the gun weighed under 7lbs i’d say. lol. never got to hit a deer with it tho.
now using 400 grain winchester Platinum tip sabot slugs at 1700fps. those things hit hard and are accurate.

I can concentrate on accuracy when I don’t have to worry about dislocating my shoulder so it’s not :greddy: it’s a challenge.

I do have a few choices in the safe other than this one.

Model 7 in 7mm-08 with 140gr Core-Lokt (this gun is way too pretty to drag thru bushes, tho)
.308 Winchester 700 ADL syn/black with 150gr partition gold.

And, when hunting in WV…I have a slightly better selection of meat guns:
AR-15
AR-10

And, yeah, the shotties too. Those sabot slugs kick ass.

so when you taking me out to the range for some fun? :reloading :reloading :reloading

Was it hard to hit that monkey with a bow??